Military folks - transfer of auto insurance

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

darnovak
Insurance Journal Addict

Military folks - transfer of auto insurance

Post by darnovak »

House Bill would let Military Personnel Retain Auto Insurance When They Are Transferred reads a recent headline. So a soldier from Georgia is transferred to New York. The soldier's current Georgia personal auto conforms with New York insurance requirements so the soldier can drive his car bearing a Georgia plate and registration in NY (or any other state.) Will the GA insurance carrier allow the soldier (now a legal resident of NY?) to renew the GA personal auto insurance policy? Will the GA DMV allow the soldier (now a NY resident) to renew the GA registration? So the soldier says "I want to retain my GA personal auto insurance and get a NY registration." Will the GA auto carrier issue a NY ID card and convert the policy to a NY policy? Is the GA carrier licensed to write NY personal auto insurance? Pick any two states and substitute them in the questions above. I haven't seen any information yet indicating the state motor vehicle departments are 'on board' with this fantastic idea. Anyone heard any comments from insurance carriers? What a can of worms!