Moving (driving) cars between 2 locations. What coverage?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

PaulGreen
Insurance Journal Fan

Moving (driving) cars between 2 locations. What coverage?

Post by PaulGreen »

Hello All:

I need help. I am a potential customer, not an insurance insider. I am trying to find out what the:

1. Occasional and permissive use on existing auto policy and,
2. Coverage of the driving of hired and non-owned automobiles policy

are and what they cover.

My business is to drive my customer's cars within the city limits. It is not towing. It is literally driving the car from "Main St" to "Garden Av" and I use independent contractors.

Are the products that I am mentioning the best fit to insure my services?

Thanks!
gforaker
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Moving (driving) cars between 2 locations. What coverage

Post by gforaker »

It sounds very similar to a valet parking exposure. Try writing it with companies which write that kind of risk on a Garage policy.
Miguelito
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Miguelito »

A tough exposure. Similar to one we have with dealer transport and customer inter-branch delivery. The vehicles are not scheduled, but PD coverage with Contingent MTC phys-dam. The $1MM NOH coverage on the Auto Liability will not even protect your "employee-employer" deficiency (Workers' Compensation) with the proposed Independent Contractor scenario. Sounds like an "Uber-Nightmare".... Good Luck!
loupolur
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by loupolur »

Transport companies provide this type of service and one client moved trucks from conversion facilities to their customers' locations. Give me a call to discuss your particulars of operation. 727 450 6643. Lou Polur
Lou Polur
Insurance and Capital Risk Solutions

Sihle Insurance Group, Inc.
2653 McCormick Dr.
Clearwater, FL 33759
727-450-6643 - Direct 727-531-6855 – Fax
PaulGreen
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by PaulGreen »

Hi Lou:

Thanks for your comment. I will call you tomorrow (PDT). The company is http://www.ubivalet.com

We drive the cars between the customer's location and a car shop of his choice. We return it after service.

Few things that I would like to emphasize from a business process point of view. I am not an insurance professionals.
  1. (1)We just transport the car.
  1. (2)Once we hand out the key to the car repair, the custody and protection of the car is no longer our responsibility.
  1. (3)Ultimately, our customer told us to bring the car there and give the key to the car shop.
  1. (4)We don't own or lease parking facilities. The car is in our custody only during the transfer between the locations.