Who's your favorite personal lines carrier?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Who's your favorite personal lines carrier?

Post by yoyowordup »

I'm looking for a new personal lines insurance carrier that may or may not also offer a commercial contract.

I have four really good preferred carriers, but it seems that they are all very similarly priced on most of my new business quotes. I need someone that wins on price more often. We can sell on coverage and service most of the time, but sometimes you just need a great price.

Also, what else besides price do you like about your favorite carrier? Ease of doing business? Less hassle when issues arise? Great underwriters?

I'm in Arizona and I know carriers have a completely different presence in different parts of the country. In Arizona, I know that Safeco and Pekin Insurance are kind of hot right now. My concern with Safeco is that Liberty Mutual will re-brand them to fit more inline with their direct marketing outlet. I know that Nationwide has just done away with the Allied Insurance name and I don't want just another generic company.

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!!
lonestar
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Who's your favorite personal lines carrier?

Post by lonestar »

I would stay away from Travelers if you can. Have you checked out Encompass?
yoyowordup
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by yoyowordup »

I have Encompass and they are a good company. They are not as competitive as I would like for an "Average" risk - $175k-$250k home, 2 cars etc.

I agree on the Travelers comment.
Erik M. Olsen, CIC
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Erik M. Olsen, CIC »

Golden Bear Insurance Company! They write HO3, HO4, HO6 and DP3 in California only. 20% commission on new and renewal.

The underwriting is not much different than everyone else...they just pay a lot more!!!

Excellent rates, A- Rated by A.M. Best, and the highest commissions in the industry!!!

Contact Erik for an appointment.

Erik M. Olsen, CIC
Senior Underwriter
Golden Bear Insurance Company
209-870-2936
erik@goldenbear.com
jtownagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jtownagent »

I have four really good preferred carriers, but it seems that they are all very similarly priced on most of my new business quotes. I need someone that wins on price more often. We can sell on coverage and service most of the time, but sometimes you just need a great price.
I would love to have four stable carriers.

Seems to me if you have four really good carriers charging the same price, then the price is pretty well established and the underwriters are doing a pretty good job. If you find a carrier charging a significantly lower price, how long do you suppose if will be until they need have a price increase.

Remarketing business to chase the lowest price drives down your commission, and is costly to your company partners; it generally does not help your contingent income either. Utilize your resources toward generating organic new business, rather than chasing you own renewals downward.

I am not suggesting not looking for more carriers, just don't make you decision solely on the fact that they are the "hot company of the moment".
goldenarms123
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by goldenarms123 »

For me Grange Insurance is a great company. They have really competitive prices up there with Safeco and Encompass. I'm in Kentucky, not sure if they are in AZ. Grange's website is very user friendly. A child could do a quote on their website its that simple. They offer great extra coverage's and endorsements on personal lines. I have never had a problem getting a hold of an underwriter. Application forms are self explanatory; easy for customers to understand. All in all a great carrier.
Family Select Insurance

6409 Dutchmans Pkwy
Louisville KY 40205
502-454-7283