What's a job with a Surety company like?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Hema
Insurance Journal Fan

What's a job with a Surety company like?

Post by Hema »

I'm a P&C agt (licensed in all lines, experience in P&C only). I have an oppurtunity to work from home for a Surety company. Can anyone tell me what it might be like- I mean working for a Surety company -working from home is the good part.
bindscott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bindscott »

Hema,

I'm assuming you'll be working as a branch underwriter? I used to work for a surety co. Surety and Insurance is like Apples and Elephants in a sense that consumers don't and can't shop as much as they do with insurance. 'By the book' is a must and as a new underwriter, you won't have as much discretion. You will work long, hard hours and you'll understand the true meaning of "Time is money".

I left the surety side of the business because I was offered more $$ at an E & S facility. But over all, I enjoyed it and am sure you will too.

Good luck to you my friend.
bondguy
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by bondguy »

I find that most underwriters I work with enjoy their work. However, I must say that underwriters do seem to switch from surety to surety quite freely. It is rare to find an underwriter that has been with one surety their entire career.

There are several underwriters that post regularly at the Surety Bond Forums. You may want to ask them some further questions.