I was hired as CSR; now owner demands I be a producer

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Scout
Insurance Journal Fan

I was hired as CSR; now owner demands I be a producer

Post by Scout »

Less than 2 months ago I was hired as a CSR without commission pay but flat bonuses for writing policies. I was the Homeowners expert. Now the owner has switched gears and wants me to sell auto without commissions . He wants me to spend all my time selling ( cold calls, prospecting) but also do CSR work and sell Homeowners. This is the second time in less than two months he has changed my job description without pay negotiations or even saying " would you?"!or " can you?" Or giving me any notice at all. I did not sign up for this type of sales job. Does this occur often in Agencies? How do I negotiate with the owner ? I am still on a ninety day probationary period with him but I have over 20 years of insurance experience from large company to tiny agency. What would you do?
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: I was hired as CSR; now owner demands I be a producer

Post by Big Dog »

How big is this agency? i.e. do they have other CSR's that are now "producers"? Do they have anyone else who's job duty is that of a "producer"?

Most small to mid-sized insurance agencies (up to 50 employees) usually have specific job descriptions. CSR's are usually tasked with "up-selling" accounts and sometimes quoting new business when someone calls in. It seems unusual that the owner keeps "moving the goal posts" as respects to your job.

My own advice - look elsewhere. I've dealt with small agency owners who have a reputation like this, and have difficulty holding onto employees. It does seem inequitable to continue to add tasks to your original job description without having any sort of increase in pay - especially if you're now being asked to do cold calling and such.
Scout
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Scout »

This agency is small- one other CSR and one producer. I was hired with a defined role that keeps changing. I agree I am moving on.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

No job comes with guarantees anymore.

The agency principal has no obligation to check with you before changing the definitions and you have no obligation to rent your talents to a shop that doesn't provide a work environment that you're looking for.

Life is way too long to be miserable in a job or to work for an entity that makes you feel bad. Follow your instinct and move to a job where the responsibilities are more to your liking and your skills will be appreciated.
beachagent
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by beachagent »

Perhaps the agent who you are working for is trying to place you in the position that works best for the agency. Perhaps the agent has seen you are either strong or weak where you were originally assigned and believes you would be a greater asset in your new position. Attitude goes a long way in a small agency. I highly value team players who can pivot when needed.
3Blackbelt
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by 3Blackbelt »

As a business owner of multiple agencies in small rural communities I found your question interesting. Most of my locations employ between 2-3 people. When I hire a CSR or Producer their job is to sell and service insurance policies, all kinds. Thats it, nothing more and nothing less. You notice I said SELL AND SERVICE. I for one do not want to get in a situation where an employee says "Thats not what I was hired for". If that is said to me there would be a quick termination with a "she/he is not available for rehire" when they go job seeking and I get the call from the other agency needing a reference.

Some things I noticed about your question that threw up a "RED FLAG" include the following; I was hired for one specific job, selling homeowners. First of all how many companies ONLY write HO without the AUTO. They are few and far between with more and more companies requiring both, its called multipolicy discount. You of all people should know or understand that. Second you stated you worked for large agencies and small agencies. Hmmm, possible job hopper? Third, listen to what some of the other forum members said above me, they were well stated and much more gracious with their comments. Choose your questions and remarks wisely as I tend to read into the question too much.

Your boss should convey to all employees his business plan, direction and guidance for the longevity of the agency. Demands are changing almost yearly from companies. We as agency owners have to change too. Talk to your boss and hopefully he will convey his reasoning that is satisfactory for you to continue.
Scout
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Scout »

In reply to all, thanks for your advice.
I see that most of you on here are owners, and of course this affects your opinions.
I am not surprised by your replies, not at all.
In reply to 3blackbelt, I have over 30 years of experience and I spent 20 of those at one location. Please do not belittle people who ask questions here. I have the experience, I was hired to work mainly one LOB, that.changes daily and frankly, Your reply was demeaning.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

beachagent wrote:Perhaps the agent who you are working for is trying to place you in the position that works best for the agency. .
I remember one agency I worked for where I wanted to see my career move in one direction, and one of the principals said something like that - I wanted to move into the employee benefits area and he responded "you best serve my needs as a commercial CSR". I found a position elsewhere within the month.
Big Dog
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Big Dog »

Scout wrote:In reply to 3blackbelt,...Your reply was demeaning.
Yes...yes it was.

A "producer" goes out to get new business for the agency. A CSR is normally tasked with maintaining current accounts, upselling (adding needed coverages where there is a gap) and sometimes quoting new business. Asking you as a CSR to start making cold calls is outside the scope of a CSR.
PLMarketrep
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by PLMarketrep »

To Big Dog: I feel your pain! I recently had the opposite problem; hired as a producer/marketing person. I ended up having to work in a supporting role in the agency doing more admn/CSR work for the other acct execs because I was the inside person and last hired. I was ahead of goal-they were not-so I ended up spending 50% of my time helping them as the agency's inside producer so they could go out and prospect. I still had to keep up my inside prospecting calls and sales expectations. I stayed ahead and sold more than they did put together. I even did all of their quotes and proposals and they still could not close their deals. Guess who was told they weren't a team player? Guess who is now looking for a new position? I wish you the best of luck! :shock:
earlybird
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by earlybird »

Well this real life scenario reminds me of The Golden Rule, "He who has the gold, rules!
Also, I am reminded of the famous country song of Johnny Paycheck, "Take this job and shove it."
Large retail agencies are probably more likely to have a CSR job description and stick to it.
if you dont like it, look elsewhere. Good luck!
Scout
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Scout »

Thanks everyone. An interesting tidbit is that I am the only one who has sold any commercial policies in this office and when I did, the very next day I was yelled at for not "spending too much time with a client" and not "being nice" in an email to someone who can't bother to contact the office. When an agency owner can't stick to a plan its trouble. Why bother with an agency? Just call an 800 number.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

Scout wrote:Thanks everyone. An interesting tidbit is that I am the only one who has sold any commercial policies in this office and when I did, the very next day I was yelled at for not "spending too much time with a client" and not "being nice" in an email to someone who can't bother to contact the office. When an agency owner can't stick to a plan its trouble. Why bother with an agency? Just call an 800 number.
The message you should take away from this entire experience is that it's time for you to do what you can to leave and find a more receptive environment for your skills.
WornManyHats
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by WornManyHats »

There are small agencies that are wonderful to work for , and there are ones like you have landed in that are dictatorships. The owners can change anything they want unless you have a contract, and even with a contract they can still demand some changes. You have to decide when enough is enough. 20 years with one agency will over shadow a short stint with an agency that obviously has no direction (and most likely has a reputation for the owner's antics). RUN DON"T WALK :!:

Hopefully you have a written offer of employment outlining your initial responsibilities, salary, benefits, etc... if you would choose to quit before you find another position this will be helpful in filing for unemployment. Make hard copies of emails (if there are any) from the principal/owner that address your job and the changes. If you don't have emails you should go back through your calendar to jog your memory and journal all the conversations in as much detail as possible...build your war chest, sounds like you will need it. Good luck!
James Bond
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by James Bond »

This is far from just an agency problem. Small (really small) businesses tend to have this problem. It's partially the nature of having a small shop and disorganization by the principle. I would be willing to bet that the principle isn't purposefully trying to take advantage of you or slight you and they feel completely justified in having you do multiple tasks. Coming from a military background I understand this mindset, the needs of the Corps before then individual and every one has the basic role of employee. However, I also agree that in this competitive landscaped, you shouldn't have to be unhappy. If you do decide to leave, I'd suggest going through a recruiter.. usually when something like this comes up they'll mediate in order to protect their reputation (they don't want you to just walk away and make them look bad... so they'd rather try to reason with the principle -and will often go to bat for you).