I was hired as CSR; now owner demands I be a producer

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

InDaKnow
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: I was hired as CSR; now owner demands I be a producer

Post by InDaKnow »

I always have to smile when someone says they were "yelled at" for doing or not doing something. Never in my 25 year insurance career have I ever worked in an office where someone was literally "yelled at." That's usually the type of statement an immature person who lacks professionalism makes but, if it's actually true, no one deserves to work in a toxic environment like that. Time to move on.
superdash8
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Re: I was hired as CSR; now owner demands I be a producer

Post by superdash8 »

Could be that the owner is a little lost and floundering around a bit. If you like working there otherwise, you might try being assertive by defining a position that makes sense for the agency and that you would like. Then simply tell him this is what you want to do, this is why it makes sense and this is why it will be profitable for the agency. Then if he accepts it's a win/win. If he doesn't, then maybe it is time to move on. Of course we all need to be somewhat flexible in a smaller agency and be willing to do what is needed on occasion, but job definition is also important to help people know their position on the team.
btw - I am not a principal. Was as CSR for years, now manager of a 25+ person team of CSRs.