Car insurance in SF for non-citizens

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

ben1473
Insurance Journal Fan

Car insurance in SF for non-citizens

Post by ben1473 »

Hi,

For professional reasons, I'm going to move to San Francisco for 3 months. I come from Europe and I'm not a US citizen. As I will have tens of meetings and appointments across the Valley, I plan to buy a car...and I need a full coverage to lower risks.

My question is simple: how there specifics for foreign people when subscribing to a car insurance?
For example, if I choose a full coverage (physical damage, liability, collision) will I be charged additional fee as a foreign worker? I read this post about the ranking of US car insurance companies http://googgl.me/nCRqyb but I couldn't find more details about non citizens conditions.

Any idea of car insurance companies that might be specialized in short-term contracts in the valley?

Thank you for your help!,
Ben
Last edited by ben1473 on Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
wariline
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Car insurance in SF for non-citizens

Post by wariline »

Non-citizen is not an issue. Many carriers, Progressive, Kemper specialty, Infinity, Foremost, will write drivers w/o a U.S. license. Most of them have a min. 6 months term though. W/o a permanent address could pose a problem. Most carriers will not issue policy if you're staying in a hotel. Also, many carriers may accept you as a "California good driver", and better rates, if you can get a driving record from your home country's motor veh. dept.