How Many Producers Do We Need?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

KTAgent
Insurance Journal Fan

How Many Producers Do We Need?

Post by KTAgent »

How many producers do your employ in your agency? Do you have a rule of thumb for a producer/policy count ratio? I've worked for an agent that had 11k+ policies in force and there were 3 licensed producer (no admin or support staff) and I currently work for an agency that has 3500 policies in force and there are 3 producers and one administative / support staff person. They've also recently hired an outside commercial sales producer. I feel that we are overstaffed. Opinions?
tflood
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: How Many Producers Do We Need?

Post by tflood »

I think you are misstaffed with 3 producers and one administative / support staff person.

A producers book will eventually plateau if there is no seperation of sales and service. A sales coach once told me that a Producers #1 diminishing asset is the producers time. If they're caught up in service work, they're not producing.

If there is a producer whose production is lackluster, perhaps that producer should be moved into an account executive role to support the other 2 producers, ie, now you freed up more of the other 2 producers time to produce. Allow the now new account exec to have a piece of the new revenue generated by the remaining 2 producers so he has some upside.

You must have a clear seperation of sales and service.
Spyhunter
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: How Many Producers Do We Need?

Post by Spyhunter »

I completely agree with tfloods comments. A producers role should be to produce and minimize service duties as much as possible. His diminishing asset is time. I could not agree more. Well said.