Will we ever see a GL residual market?

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

longhaul
Insurance Journal Fan

Will we ever see a GL residual market?

Post by longhaul »

Will we ever see a GL residual market? Seems to me that not only is having liability insurance for premises of properties, and operations of contractors a crucial thing for public protection, it also seems to me that getting coverage is unreasonably difficult for many operations. Thoughts? We've got Fair plans for property, and CAIP for auto, and assigned risk WC, why not GL?
mccluney
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Will we ever see a GL residual market?

Post by mccluney »

Well WC and Auto have state regulations requiring insurance. Individuals are more protected in our society than our business owners. The business owners are too diverse in their operations to require insurance companies to mandate coverage. The surplus lines markets do an adequate job in providing coverage in a competitive environment. I have always been able to get multiple quotes for business risks. I do not see the necessity of having a different type of residual market than what the surplus lines companies provide.
mightyquinn
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Will we ever see a GL residual market?

Post by mightyquinn »

Right on, mccluney. We do not need another government plan for insurance. Enough encroachment, already.