Trying to purchase an independent agency; but issues..

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

sim1004
Insurance Journal Fan

Trying to purchase an independent agency; but issues..

Post by sim1004 »

I am trying to purchase an independent agency and 80% of their book of business is under one of the outlets.
Not confirmed buyout clause yet.

The seller asking 2X commission; but not sure if it is okay to purchase a book of business that are mainly under the wholesaler.
Smalltownagent
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Trying to purchase an independent agency; but issues..

Post by Smalltownagent »

Obviously get in writing whatever exit requirements are in force before you sign onto anything.

I bought a book of business that had some with a national carrier, but it was through a MGA. The exit requirements were not spelled out in the contract, but they fought like mad to prevent me from rolling it into my direct appointment. I only prevailed because there was nothing in the contract that prevented me from taking to my direct appointment. Otherwise, they would've held fast and they would have severely affected the value of the book from my perspective.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by d's insurance store »

If by using the terms 'outlet' or 'wholesaler' you really mean cluster or consolidator or MGA, then that infers to me that you don't really have the experience in the industry to be plunking down a bunch of your hard earned money to buy an agency.

With what I'm concluding is your level of experience, if you're really dead set on entering the world of agency ownership in this manner, then I would run, not walk, to an experienced business broker who deals with agency acquisition day in and day out and pay whatever their consultation fee would be to hold your hand and guide you through the process. Any monies paid to an expert will save you multiples and allow you to proceed with minimal pain.
mccluney
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by mccluney »

Way to go d's insurance store. Right On !!!!
LisaTurcotte
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by LisaTurcotte »

I agree with d's insurance store. An M&A expert can also help you make sure that you are addressing the prior liabilities/E&O exposure adequately if you have not already done so. Good luck.
fmi
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by fmi »

good advice
Frank Medina, Agency Owner, Mentor, Founder of IANS Insurance Agent Near Me
https://insuranceagentnearme.directory/