Coverage for Knights of Columbus Hall

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Coverage for Knights of Columbus Hall

Post by pageltd »

I have an organizatiuon that is looking for coverage.

Here's what I know:

The building is owned by a for-profit organization, which is basically comprised of the same members that are Knights of Columbus.
The Knights of Columbus branch operates out of this building.
It is unusual for Knights of Columbus branches to own their own buildings, but this one sort of does.
Most KofC branches are small and operate out of the church hall.

So...here's the question:

Does the GL Class Code 41668 - Civic and Social Clubs, which is the primary class code on their current policy, contemplate ALL the activities that might go on in a social club of this sort:

Beyond ownership of the building...activities at the club, organized by the KofC, include the following:

Fish Fries ($20,000 income per year)
Dances ($2,000 per year)
Bingo ($25,000 per year)
Hall Rentals ($20,000 per year)
Parking for Guilford Fair ($3,000 per year)

Should these activities be listed on the GL Dec separately?

Please let me know your thoughts.
George Page
www.pageins.com
JohnnyLaw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Coverage for Knights of Columbus Hall

Post by JohnnyLaw »

George I would confirm with underwriter, however I see it GL code 44227 which is for halls. 41668 appears to
be more aligned with a club, however this club is using facility as a hall. I am in TX and would take it to surplus.
pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pageltd »

OK, I guess every underwriter is going to be different. I'm going to ask ISO, see what kind of answer I get. Should be interesting.
George Page
www.pageins.com
waves101
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by waves101 »

I see this as a Lessor's Risk exposure. The For-Profit Organization is the Lessor and the KoC is the Lessee. The events still fall back on the KoC.
pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pageltd »

waves101 wrote:I see this as a Lessor's Risk exposure. The For-Profit Organization is the Lessor and the KoC is the Lessee. The events still fall back on the KoC.
technically...but the same players are involved with both, so it could get a little murky
George Page
www.pageins.com
mccluney
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by mccluney »

As the building is owned by a for-profit. A policy is needed as a lessors risk. I am assuming that the Knights operations are as a non-profit. A separate policy is needed for the activities of the non-profit. The non-profit as well as any other groups who rent the hall will need to name the for-profit as an additional insured

If the non-profit is covered by a master policy all of the non-profits activities are covered. If no master policy, then the separate policy activities are covered as a social club.

There has to be two policies. As there is two separate entities. The board of directors coverage should also obtained if not otherwise covered as well as fire coverage on the building.
crossins
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by crossins »

2 separate insureds, 2 policies with each of their exposures identified, (here's the good part...2 separate limits of insurance.
pageltd
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by pageltd »

KofC is a large organization, with it's own policy. Local chapters do not typically have their own policies. It is unusual for a KofC to own a building, so the building owner is a a separate corporation.
George Page
www.pageins.com