Purchasing X-Date Data

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

QuoteClicker
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: Purchasing X-Date Data

Post by QuoteClicker »

mica.cooper wrote:Hello,

I am looking for a source of data for expirations. Specifically, I would like to define the companies I want to buy. So for instance, I might want data on Company A, Company B, but not Company C for a target county or zip code.

Does anyone know of a source selling such data?

Thanks,
Mica
Check out this company. http://www.colexdates.com/. I used them for homeowners x-dates but I think they also have business information with the sic ''codes.
jason1
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by jason1 »

We've used workcompxdates.com and datalister.com I haven't tried xdate marketing because it was geared for more personal lines and we're strictly a commercial agency. Datalister is very inexpensive with some fairly reliable info. Only downside was on the renewal purchase it was a lot of the same leads/data as the prior purchase. I thought workcompxdates.com was steep for but the list, but they replaced any lead that wasn't right and the info was dead on.
landersinsurance
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by landersinsurance »

We have had good success with just getting free information from info USA. If you go to your local library, they will give you the code to go to info USA and access all the business information in your area. Then you can cold call them and get their x-date.
Coeur d Alene Car Insurance| Car Insurance, Auto Insurance, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Commercial insurance
Landers Insurance
816 Sherman Ave. Ste 1
Coeur d Alene, ID 83814
(208) 651-6208
spokaneins

Post by spokaneins »

kevinraz wrote:Here is another idea:

When I was with Farmers I would go to the county courthouse every other month and look at the book of property transactions. You could see who had bought a house pretty easily.

If they bought the house on June 1 you could be sure that their homeowners policy had the same effective date.

I could get 50 of these for free, took maybe half an hour of reading and jotting notes.
wow this seems like a great Idea.
FFA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by FFA »

Now for the obvious - The local newspapers prints Realestate Closings and New Births. Tuesdays in my neck of the woods. Usually at least 30+ a week.
It prints Sale Price, Buyer Name, Seller name and, yes - the address & PIN#.
And it gets delivered to you.
charlie@beacon

Post by charlie@beacon »

Are you talking about commercial lines or personal lines?
FFA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by FFA »

All Realestate Transactions are listed - Commercial and Residential. I ran a query yesterday. June 2010 - July 2010. 284 total transactions with my low search being $200K and no ceiling. I looked past three different town that are of a large population - including 4th largest in my state due to Gangs/Drugs and just general low life ness. Still came up with 284 listings for a 60 day time frame all for free.
tylerdurden
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by tylerdurden »

A company out of Florida provides X-Date matached with other data elements. DataLister

Found it to be pretty helpful as they integreate it against any of our existing lead or information set from InfoUSA or Dun and Bradstreet.

I think they also have Property and Auto data as well but was more than we needed.
scotp
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by scotp »

On the logic of insurance being from the date of house purchase, wouldn't this also seem to hold for the date of business incorporation (for small commercial business)? Whilst unlikely to be as exact a match as the home owner purchase - it should be a decent guide.

Has anyone tried that?

Scott
FFA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by FFA »

scotp wrote:On the logic of insurance being from the date of house purchase, wouldn't this also seem to hold for the date of business incorporation (for small commercial business)? Whilst unlikely to be as exact a match as the home owner purchase - it should be a decent guide.

Has anyone tried that?

Scott
Its a good guess, not does not hold true all the time. Deoending on what type of business it is, they may have to submitt proof of insurance with the application for the business license. In that case, you would be 30 - 90 days late.

Other types of business have no insurance requirement by the state to get the business license.

In my case, I got the license and opened up shop 30 -60 days past issuance as I was not ready to open the doors. In my case, you would be about 30 - 60 days late. I did not hire help for about 4-5 months after that, so my comp renewal would be about 6 -8 months later.

Only way to get good Commercial X Dates is to get them your self.
"Hi My Business man, I was wondering if I cought you on time to give you a comparison on your current insurance?"
"Yes, Great, let me get some info and set up a time to come out and see you." "No? HOw lond did I miss you buy? When is your next bill coming?"

When approaching a busy business man, keep it short, sweet and to the point. If he has time chit chat about the weather, the wife & kids - what ever that is not about his business, you may be talking to someone that is getting ready to close the doors.
Leave the door wide open to any LOB - Commercial or otherwise.
tomharolds
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by tomharolds »

This thread is quite old but I would like to ask a related question regarding this. Has anyone tried using a local library for free with ReferenceUSA option or Sales Genie. Any success?