CA STATE FUND, WTF!!!

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

JAM
Insurance Journal Addict

CA STATE FUND, WTF!!!

Post by JAM »

What ever happened to this guys? They were already slow as molasses (not surprising as they are state workers) But now it seems that they are slowing down the process because of the labor issues they are having with the state. One UW basically admitted this without coming out and saying it direclty. As of late they have been completely unprofessional and take weeks for a simnple quote. On top of that the UW are always out to on Vacation. How many days off can a person get in a year? We deal with the Santa Ana office, anyone else having this issue?
Western commercial hub.
www.premieroc.com
paulbennings
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: CA STATE FUND, WTF!!!

Post by paulbennings »

I too see the same issues of late. They have had a RIF, along with the demoralization that follows, I guess this is to be expected. Don't get me wrong, I have little sympathy for many public workers who have taken advantage of the system in CA, but the reality is what it is. Without a profit incentive, why should they care about you or your customers?

Perhaps one day CA will wake up, but it is doubtful.
paulbennings
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by paulbennings »

One point of clarification... I have had some luck there with some people, who have been very helpful and knowledgeable. I don't mean to say that ALL of them lack any work ethic, but many of them do, simply because they do not operate under the same pressure that private business does.
Santa Rosa Ins Broker
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Santa Rosa Ins Broker »

As a former State Fund Underwriter I have been frustrated as well.

Timely quotes-Not!
I have been having a difficult time getting timely quotes, even on renewals. I waited 3 weeks on a new business quote for a small electrical contractor, wanting to hire his first employee.

Work being move to where the staff is
Usually I work with the Santa Rosa Office, or what is left of it. My work on smaller accounts and new business is being worked on in the San Jose District Office.

Are there any good people left
Don't give up there are still some real good people working there. The employees left are just a bit overwhlemed.

Waste of good talent
Overstaff employees have been reassigned to the TRP-Talent Retention Pool, where they are doing work below their pay grade and still getting the same salary(this is a real waste of talent and salary).
paulbennings
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by paulbennings »

Is it just me or have things gotten worse over there since the thread was last commented on? We have been told to wait a month for quotes. We have been given misinformation constantly by customer service. I have been hung up on for getting frustrated. Not rude, just frustrated. I understand that for many of the people who work there a lot of this is our of their hands and that this is a mgmt issue. But how badly can an organization be run? Let's be honest, SCIF talks about being a for-profit company (as opposed to other govt. supported alternatives in the insurance world) but there is no such motivation apparent in how things are going now. This is just another broke down govt office with a DMV-like sense of urgency.
jackwehoca
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by jackwehoca »

And the fun is just beginning. Starting soon ,many agencies (under 100k in per annum premium I believe) are relegated to submitting all business through one of two wholesalers. That just adds another layer of paperwork and delay and another degree of non-accountability! Bad enough trying to get quotes but don't even want to think of the maze for any policy changes or endorsements. When in a bind you could sometimes find a benevolent supervisor at SCIF but now that option is gone since many will have to go through an intermediary, eliminating any direct contact with SCIF.