Air B & B - California

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
cbevington
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Air B & B - California

Post by cbevington »

I have a prospect with a guest house she uses for Air B&B rentals.

She has a homeowner insurance policy and does not want to tell them she is doing Air B&B

Are there any mainstream carriers in California who will accept a home where the guest house is being used for Air B&B rentals?

What are the options in a situation like this? Is it possible to get a separate landlord policy just to cover the Air B&B activity?

Thanks in advance for all responses.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Air B & B - California

Post by d's insurance store »

You can do nothing and pretend you never had the conversation with the homeowner. Then, everything's fine until there's a claim.

Or, you could just make the effort to find a Vacation Rental policy for that guest house. There are a couple of admitted markets or a vast surplus lines marketplace for dwellings used for short term rentals.

Yeah, that's what I'd do because claim departments really hate first report phone calls that surprise both them and the policy language.
NYagent301
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by NYagent301 »

Standard HO policy takes in to account having roomers or boarders, albeit limited coverage. In the case if renting a "guest house" I hope you do not think this is covered as an appurtenant structure on a HO policy. Check with your carrier.
wariline
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by wariline »

Foremost writes short term rentals. How is the guest house insured on the current policy? As other structure?
sgriswold
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by sgriswold »

Pacific Specialty writes short term rentals. They do a lot of nonstandard risks. I like them.
wariline
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by wariline »

sgriswold wrote:Pacific Specialty writes short term rentals. They do a lot of nonstandard risks. I like them.
They have their niches. I seldom use them now that they require the insured to sign on the app that can only be printed out after the coverage is bound.