Client wnders why his HO premium went up

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

etimer
Insurance Journal Addict

Client wnders why his HO premium went up

Post by etimer »

One of my long time clients was a bit miffed because his HO premium went up @ $100 this year.

So I got his loss runs and here is what I found --

Since 2002
Claims paid
$12,203.73

Premiums paid
$13,564

Difference
$1,360.27

Three year loss report:

Claims paid
$6,792.84

Premiums paid
$4,705

Difference
- ($2,087.84)

So over 13 years of renewals the insurance company made $1,360 in premiums. I'm happy that they renewed his policy.
d's insurance store
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: Client wnders why his HO premium went up

Post by d's insurance store »

Gee, why carry insurance if you can't get back your premium in claim recovery at least every 3 years?
wariline
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by wariline »

d's insurance store wrote:Gee, why carry insurance if you can't get back your premium in claim recovery at least every 3 years?
Exactly. The company still took in more than they paid out. Bloodsuckers.
Prebzi
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Prebzi »

wariline wrote:
d's insurance store wrote:Gee, why carry insurance if you can't get back your premium in claim recovery at least every 3 years?
Exactly. The company still took in more than they paid out. Bloodsuckers.
Well they are what you say - bloodsuckers - thats what they make a living out of? :wink: even though it seems cruel to the consumer, that is their part?
lonestar
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by lonestar »

etimer, did you ask client if he/she ever wondered why the price of gas, milk, health insurance goes up ever year?

In Texas, we see at least a 8-10% home rate increase every year. Some years we see 20% to 30%. I would laugh at my client if they asked why the premium only went up $100...
JohnnyLaw
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by JohnnyLaw »

I don't know what size agency you are but this is a big problem for small agencies like mine. Most of my clients are commercial, and I get referral's sometimes from them for this type of individual. Basically because it is a problem friend/client of theirs and they need to give them direction. So its not as clear cut , because in reality I turn these guys around , they can make you just spend way to much time whereas you could be bringing in better class of business. Am always careful though in regards to whom referred them.
sankykid
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sankykid »

The company did not make $1,360 in premiums. The numbers you provided appear to be the amounts paid to the insured and do not include loss adjustment expenses which could easily exceed $1,360.
InsTrainer
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by InsTrainer »

I'm hoping some of the replies are tongue in cheek! Of course, there's more than loss adjusting expense involved. Insurers have to make payroll, taxes, utilities, advertising, and all the other overhead all businesses have. Claims related expenses are not their only expense. But my first thought when I read this post was that I wouldn't fool with a client who complained about $100 unless they had a monster large account with me too!
hav
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by hav »

Premiums and claims have been mentioned. Now is the agent is not afraid to let the client know how much he gets paid on this policy, he might add his commissions in to the cost and let the client know that so far, the insurance company has not made any money on him.
Thorman
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Thorman »

I'm surprised carrier hasn't dropped them.

Which carrier are we talking?