WC for 5951 and 4512

Leave your comments here on hard to place accounts.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Forum rules
Tip: If you are posting a market request, include the state abbreviation in your post title to get better responses.
antagent
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

WC for 5951 and 4512

Post by antagent »

My client is a manufacture of mdeical diagnostic kits. It currently has California State Fund's WC policy which covers codes 5951 and 4512. The policy going to be renewal soon. Quoted through several brokers, both codes are in prohibited list of some carriers. My client believe those two codes are not appropriate. But he doesn't know which right code for those jobs. He plan to change code to 3572 (Medical Instrument manufacturing) and 4611 (Drug, Medicine or pharmacy preparation ), but not sure either.

Who has market for those codes? And how can we help client to determine right WC codes?
gregcw
Insurance Journal Addict

Re: WC for 5951 and 4512

Post by gregcw »

Go to the NCCI website, look up the risk and they will show the controlling class codes. I also only found code 5951,Anti-toxin, Serum or virus mfg. and didn't find 4512 Are you sure that it wasn't 4511, Analytical Chemist?
Gregcw
WorkComp&Sense
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Post by WorkComp&Sense »

Antagent,

Don't spend too much time on the NCCI website as California has their own classification manual. Based on the classifications you have provided (5951 and 4512), the risk's operations would be similar to an anti-venom facility or a anti-virus manufacturuer. The codes you have provided are very specific to a facility that would go out into the field to collect fluids to make an anti-venom or an anti-virus serum. Both codes are California classifications with 4512 being State specific.

What type of mediacl diagnostic kits are they making? Based on your alternate class selctions, it appears as if the risk is more of a durable medical goods manufacturer - not a serum maker. A little more detail would be helpful.

WorkComp&Sense
Shagster12
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by Shagster12 »

Agree with Comp&Sense, more information necessary for a practical determination.
I would also suggest contacting the WCIRB for classification assistance, they may be able to steer you in the proper direction over the phone or you might want to request an inspection for classification. Again you will need to provide more detail about the products and operations of the insured.
Mikesmith5656
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Mikesmith5656 »

You can also get a lot of that information on class codes at https://classcodes.com/lookup/workers-c ... code-5951/.