CPCU for Attorneys

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

johndmeara
Insurance Journal Fan

CPCU for Attorneys

Post by johndmeara »

Hello all -

I'm looking for insight and input. I am an attorney and have practiced in insurance defense for five years. I have defended all sorts of insureds from auto accidents to commercial fishing vessels. The bulk of my practice at the time being is professional/ medical malpractice. I'm not tied to this practice area. I'm debating getting my CPCU designation, but am curious on your thoughts as to the benefits for an attorney.

My goals or perceived benefits about the designation are primarily:

- Learn more about the industry so as to be better at my job.
- Be able to have better relationships with adjusters/ claims managers
- Ideally network with fellow CPCUs in an effort to generate business.

Will the designation help achieve the above? Any other insight or advice you can offer? Thanks in advance.
seanjb55
Insurance Journal Fan

Re: CPCU for Attorneys

Post by seanjb55 »

CPCU will undoubtedly give you the knowledge you need (so long as you study to learn the material and not just to pass the tests.) It is a long project, however. Given that you're an attorney, you'll probably take even longer with your busy schedule. I don't know that the CPCU network will necessarily generate leads for business. It is not an MBA where you're networking, it is long hours alone in a room reading haha.

Have you considered the AIS? Or perhaps a claims designation? The institutes have many broad designations that may be more time appropriate for you.
navymusic
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by navymusic »

The comments above are good ones. I'd like to add a few points.

CPCU is a broad-based professional education program designed to have relevance for professionals working in ALL segments of the property-casualty industry: commercial lines underwriting, personal lines underwriting, claims, marketing, loss control, premium audit, actuary, product management, and beyond. Of course, successful completers of all eight demanding exams who have also met CPCU's ethics and experience requirements earn the most prestigious designation in the industry.

Assuming your claims work touches on all types of property-casualty insurance, and as a CPCU for 34 years, I would strongly recommend CPCU to you. Its broad study of the entire industry is the major reason for my recommendation. At the same time, because you appear to mainly work in claims, I would also strongly recommend that you begin work on The Institutes' specialty designation program designed for claims professionals, Associate in Claims (AIC), once you've completed CPCU. CPCU completion waives certain required AIC courses, and its singular focus on the claims function should be very helpful to you in your work.
johndmeara
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by johndmeara »

Thanks, all. I appreciate the feedback. I am nearly half way through the CPCU 500 study materials. The information can be dense, but definitely is a nice addition to my current knowledge. I have already learned a fair amount and I expect, at the least, that the information will facilitate me being better at my job.
lquigley
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by lquigley »

If the bulk of your work is in the professional liability medmal arena you may wish to explore the RPLU designation.
Registered Professional Liability Underwriter and the PLUS organization which may be more on point for your particular area.