Help! Having the hardest time passing the Licensing Exam!

Your response to industry hot topics.

Moderators: Josh, independent guy

Mezza
Insurance Journal Fan

Help! Having the hardest time passing the Licensing Exam!

Post by Mezza »

Hello my names Mary and I've been working with Allstate for only eight months now. My goal at the moment, is to get my PL license, however after attempting the exam THREE TIMES only to have failed. I don't know what else to do!
Is there anyone out there that may offer me some kind of advice? The thing that really bugs me is I went to the ad banker classes and they taught me nothing! The teacher was a real jerk and all he was interested was taking heaps of breaks so that he could smoke.
This whole experience has let me down in a way, but all I could do is pick myself up again. I am so determined!
If anyone could offer their words of advice to me I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you in advance :)
slenard
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

Hard Times

Post by slenard »

Mezza,

It's a little hard to reply without knowing in what State you are located. In Texas, if you fail that test 3 times, you need to forget about the business. The test is too easy! Perhaps your state has a more selective bar to cross.

Good luck,
slenard
Mezza
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Mezza »

Oh I am sorry!

I am from California. Wow hm, maybe I should think about moving to TX to get into this business, lol!
The one here in CA is just too hard to pass..
InsAgentSF
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by InsAgentSF »

If you are in California, take Quick Learning School.
bindscott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bindscott »

Stay positive.

Since you've finished the 52 hour course, I would concentrate on attending crash course sessions. AD Banker or any other insurance schools (near where you live) do offer crash course sessions for a small fee. Take sample exams as many times as you wish and take them the day before you take the actual exam.

After doing so and you pass the exam, post a reply here so I'll know it worked.

Good luck my friend!
volstrike3
Insurance Journal Addict

test prep

Post by volstrike3 »

I agree that the 52 hour class was not very useful. I went into AD Banker and did the online practice test several times before my actual test was scheduled. Because you get immediate feedback on your answers, it was helpful. I would just take the online practice tests as much as possible.
CATHIEA
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by CATHIEA »

Here's the advice I have given to my employees that have taken the licensing exam (and passed). The info in the course material is general not company specific. Most of what is on the test you will never use - just memorize it the way they give it to you. Do not read more into the question than it states - they are looking for the simple answer because the test is general insurance knowledge - you have to forget your day to day company guidelines when you take the test. Most people who fail the licensing exams do so not because they don't know the information but because they try to read more into the questions. Keep in mind that this business is basically common sense.
independent guy
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by independent guy »

Cram all night before the exam. It works!
insray
Insurance Journal Enthusiast

License Exam

Post by insray »

Every one of our new agents has attended the AD Banker classes in San Diego area. Every single one has passed the state exam with no problems, first time. Each one has also commented how comprehensive the classes were and how easy the exam was after taking the classes, especially after attending the Saturday review class. If you are unhappy with the teacher maybe you should contact AD Banker and complain. However, me thinks you need to find another career!!!
Brandy
Insurance Journal Addict

How to pass the exam - Relax

Post by Brandy »

Mezza,

When I first got my license it was Calif, San Diego and I went to Sandi Kruise. I studied, then studied more, then had my husband test me with the practice tests before I went and took the exam (he's a smog tech so he new the jig). The classes aren't designed to teach you insurance they're just required by the state of California before you can take the exam. Revenue.

Remember, this exam isn't real world, it's text book. PLAY THE GAME !! Multiple choice, don't look for the right answer look for the wrong answers, read the question and the answers more then once before you choose your answer. If you can't answer one go to the next question and come back to that one at the end. Forget what you know at work, it doesn't apply, the test is general ISO policies, forms and laws.

Do not study the day before, rest your mind and have fun. Get a good nights sleep and if you eat breakfast eat something that wakes your brain up and keeps you energized. California is a hard test, the questions are suppose to trick you into the wrong answer so play their game and beat them at it. If you fail again and really want to know if you belong in this business, come to Oklahoma, if you fail this "test for dummy's" then you'll know it's the wrong business for you. They won't even require you to take a class before applying for the exam "Scarey ha".

I could be wrong but if memory serves correct AD Banker is a class to teach you to pass the test.[/u][/b]
92builder
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by 92builder »

If you really want to do this, come to Kansas and attend the Norris Training school in Wichita. On Mon. morning, you will start to attend four days of classroom instruction to help you pass the test. On Fri, you will go to a testing center and pass the test. It works.

I think what you need to do, is while you're in class you need to think about your own personal policy and how the class relates to you in the real world. Surely, as a consumer you know about deductibles and insurance-to-value, so as the teacher talks, picture your own policy and relax - you can do this.

GL
Mezza
Insurance Journal Fan

Post by Mezza »

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback and support. Next week I am going to attend 'prelicensetraining' classes. They have a first time pass guarantee. So this should work, and ofcourse, I am as determined as ever to pass!

I will definately let you all know if I pass. I just wanted to let yous know that I really did read and take into account what each and one of you had to say. Thank you!

Regards

Mezza
bindscott
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by bindscott »

Good luck Mezza.
sanddog1
Insurance Journal Addict

Post by sanddog1 »

I agree Bindscott, do what ever takes to pass the test. You will learn almost OOOOO from quick learn schools. You need to take a CISR class about 200.00 bucks and will worth it. That's a start