Underwriter I / II - Commercial Casualty - Wholesale Brokerage
Why Work Here?
"We were certified a Great Place to Work in 2017!"
Supports goals of the Commercial Brokerage team by:
• Underwriting, pricing, and documentation of new and renewal policies and endorsements in accordance with their authority statement.
• Establishes and maintains professional relationships with brokers via email, phone, and in person.
• Provides service at or above Topa's standard, and
• Stays abreast of technical, industry and regulatory requirements in assigned areas of responsibility.
A successful Underwriter I / II will possess good oral and written communication skills, ability to analyze
detail, ability to exercise judgment and discretion with no supervision within authority guidelines, and
strong organizational discipline.
• Use critical thinking skills, to perform independent risk analysis to underwrite, price, and
document underwriting thought process for new and renewal policies and endorsements in
accordance with their authority statement and Topa's best practices. Underwriting includes
assessing insurance risks presented to the company, receiving applications and reviewing the
operations of each prospective insured, using independent judgement to determine research
required regarding risk, determining whether the risks fit within Topa's business appetite and
guidelines, and reviewing and evaluating loss history. Pricing includes using judgement to
determine the correct pricing within a set range.
• Support other underwriters in all facets of underwriting, workflow and service on accounts
outside of their own authority including, but not limited to determining risk acceptability, pricing,
coverage terms, evaluating submissions and renewals.
• Ensure thought process documentation is accurate and completed within best practices
• Review inspections and alert Underwriter or Sr. Underwriter of any significant differences on the
report than on the policy that could alter our underwriting decision.
• Ensure Topa's service standards are met.
• Provide excellent customer service including personal interaction via phone, email, and in person
with brokers and other external professionals.
• Attend industry and customer events and make production calls in a group. Individual calls will
be allowed, but not required in this position.
• Understand and report on publicly known competitor activity in the marketplace.
• Underwrite and offer binding quotes on renewal accounts within authority.
• Write quality referrals for decisions outside of authority.
• Support teamwork and collaboration. Promote and contribute to a high performance team
culture which values individual and team achievements. Represent the company in a
professional, courteous, and friendly manner at all times. Support and promote the corporate
goals established by the management.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, equivalent insurance education, or
related insurance experience is required.
• Understands sense of urgency around providing excellent customer service and appropriate
attention to business matters.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to interact effectively with a range of personalities.
• Proficient math skills to perform duties of assigned position.
• Attention to detail and accuracy
• Proficiency with computers and work productivity software.
• Ability to travel overnight as needed.
• Commitment to professional development through continuing education, including but not
limited to completion of insurance education courses and achievement of professional insurance
designations, continuing college course work towards the goal of a bachelor's degree, and/or
participation in company offered training and education programs.
About Topa Insurance Company:Topa Insurance Company is a growing boutique specialty insurance carrier in Calabasas, California, with more than 30 years of service in the industry. Our highly engaged employees enjoy a modern, collaborative work environment with on-site fitness. Our top notch management team encourages professional development and achievement, with a commitment to make Topa Insurance an employer of choice. We embrace diversity, believe in, recognize and celebrate our people. Our employee engagement scores are amongst the highest in the industry and we were certified a Great Place to Work in 2017. We offer a variety of flexible work schedules and shared incentives built around corporate goals and objectives. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes up to 20 PTO days a year for first year team members, as well as annual time off for charitable activity. We want innovative team members who are eager to excel to join our team.