Why Work Here?
"We were certified a Great Place to Work in 2017!"
This role is responsible for the recording of accounting transactions, the preparation of internal and external financial statements for Topa Insurance and its related companies and financial analysis related to complex special projects. This position participates in the implementation of internal controls and procedures to insure the safe guard of the Company's assets.
- Prepare and review the monthly, quarterly, and annual GAAP and Statutory financial statements and filings for both external and internal users analyzing unusual fluctuations, ratios, and highlighting trends and bringing these trends to management's attention.
- Maintain and develop a strong understanding of the insurance industry and the accounting implications of changes in both GAAP and SAP on Topa and its subsidiaries operations. This is to be accomplished through continuing education by attending industry seminars and industry associations when possible.
- Review the monthly transactions created by the investment and reinsurance areas for accuracy, completeness, and documentation.
- May perform investment accounting functions e.g. investment inventory, valuations, and income, corresponding as necessary with the investment advisor, custodian and the NAIC - SVO.
- This position requires completion of complex multipart projects. Projects will require the analytical ability to perform complex tasks and determine whether or not the requested information will provide management with enough information to make a completely informed decision.
- Prepares monthly account reconciliation of all assigned balance sheet accounts and obtains the Controller's approval as required.
- Prepare and provide all requested schedules and working papers by the parent company to assist in the preparation of the consolidated tax return and consolidated financial statements.
- Participate in both GAAP audits and statutory examinations, preparing schedules as requested and providing copies of supporting working papers as needed.
- This position will be responsible for all reporting requirements of the Property and Casualty insurance companies.
- Prepare quarterly loss triangles for outside actuaries and make any recommendations to the Controller that appear necessary.
- Update and maintain the Topa financial database, and reconcile the database with the general ledger on a monthly basis
- Oversee the reconciliation of inter-company accounts between Topa and its affiliates on an at least quarterly basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires a four (4) year degree in accounting or business.
- Work experience of at least five (5) years, with three (3) years of work experience demonstrating superior knowledge of accounting in both a regulatory and GAAP environment.
- CPA or CPA candidate preferred.
- Previous insurance and / or financial service industries audit experience preferred.
- Excellent judgement and the ability to make independent decisions in all areas of assigned responsibility.
- This position requires a high level of computer literacy and the ability to understand the systems used in the Accounting Department and obtain and implement assistance from vendor helpline personnel as necessary to resolve application issues.
- This position will require strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge in statutory insurance accounting rules and standards.
- Proficiency in MS Office products, GL and Database Software
About Topa Insurance Company:Topa Insurance Company is a growing boutique specialty insurance carrier in Calabasas, California, with more than 30 years of service in the industry. Our highly engaged employees enjoy a modern, collaborative work environment with on-site fitness. Our top notch management team encourages professional development and achievement, with a commitment to make Topa Insurance an employer of choice. We embrace diversity, believe in, recognize and celebrate our people. Our employee engagement scores are amongst the highest in the industry and we were certified a Great Place to Work in 2017. We offer a variety of flexible work schedules and shared incentives built around corporate goals and objectives. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes up to 20 PTO days a year for first year team members, as well as annual time off for charitable activity. We want innovative team members who are eager to excel to join our team.