Underwriting Manager - Commercial Wholesale Brokerage
This position is responsible for the daily operation of the underwriting team, including accountability for risk selection, service delivery to all levels of customers, and supervision of the underwriting team members.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position manages the underwriting employees of the department and is responsible for their development and performance appraisals/management. Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities includes interviewing, hiring, terminating, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Essential Job Functions:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform certain duties including the following in a satisfactory manner. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions:
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of the underwriting team – recommending measures to improve performance and increase efficiency.
- Implement and enforce company underwriting guidelines and policies.
- Monitor and manage underwriting workflows and maintain a balanced workflow to ensure underwriters are adhering to service expectations.
- Establish and maintain renewal review schedules to expedite renewal quote process.
- Assist with new & renewal file audits.
- Monitor workflow and provide proactive feedback to management on procedures and operations.
- Stay abreast of all underwriting related rules, regulations, decisions and trends.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required:
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize tasks on a daily basis.
- Ability to anticipate problems, utilize good judgment and resolve issues proactively.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact with a range of audiences across a number of disciplines.
- Ability to effectively lead and motivate others in accomplishing goals.
- Demonstrated sense of urgency around providing excellent customer service and appropriate attention to business matters.
- Ability to help others excel through collaboration and building of strong relationships.
- Computer skills and knowledge of relevant software.
- 5+ years of commercial underwriting experience. Degree Preferred. Accumulated experience will be considered.
- 3+ year's previous supervisory/managerial experience preferred.
- Certified Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU) and/or other Insurance Education Association (IEA) certifications preferred.
About Topa Insurance Company:Topa Insurance Company is a growing boutique specialty insurance carrier in Calabasas, California, with more than 30 years of service in the industry. Our highly engaged employees enjoy a modern, collaborative work environment with on-site fitness. Our top notch management team encourages professional development and achievement, with a commitment to make Topa Insurance an employer of choice. We embrace diversity, believe in, recognize and celebrate our people. Our employee engagement scores are amongst the highest in the industry and we were certified a Great Place to Work in 2017. We offer a variety of flexible work schedules and shared incentives built around corporate goals and objectives. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes up to 20 PTO days a year for first year team members, as well as annual time off for charitable activity. We want innovative team members who are eager to excel to join our team.