The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Claim Representative Trainee Auto Total Loss
Company InformationSolid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job SummaryThis is an entry level position that requires satisfactory completion of required training to advance to Claim Rep Auto Total Loss position.
This position is intended to develop skills for investigating, evaluating, negotiating and resolving claims on losses of lesser value and complexity.
Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations.
As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Marketing DescriptionBilingual candidates encouraged to apply.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Completes required training program which includes the overall instruction, exposure, and preparation for employees to progress to the next level position. It is a mix of online, virtual, classroom, and on-the-job training. The training may require travel.
- The on the job training includes practice and execution of the following core assignments:
- Handle all types of automobiles, and a variety of heavy and mobile equipment (i.e. cranes, tractor trailers, construction, agricultural equipment) at every severity level excluding other property damage i.e.: guard rails, mail boxes and any property within the vehicle.
- Contact all appropriate parties to gather supporting documents necessary to negotiate and settle the claim within their authority level (i.e.; obtaining the title, keys, and other required documentation).
- Review controlling claim handlers' coverage determination, summarize the review and seek clarification as needed. Recognize additional coverage issues (i.e. covered equipment, endorsements).
- Establish and/or update claim and expense reserves.
- Control damages through the proper use of cost containment tools (i.e. mitigate storage, expenses, rental).
- Properly manage Total Loss settlement process and rental expenses by working closely with appraisers, rental facilities, body shops, and salvage vendors. Manage deductibles and limits.
- Review the valuation (appraisal estimate) based on the type of vehicle to effectively and efficiently resolve the claim.
- Meet all quality standards and expectations per Best Practices.
- Maintain an effective diary system, manage file inventory, and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Comply with state specific regulations.
- Provide quality customer service to meet the needs of the insured, claimant, all internal and external customers.
Minimum QualificationsHigh School Diploma or GED and one year of customer service experience OR Bachelor's Degree required.
Education, Work Experience & KnowledgeBachelor's Degree preferred or a minimum of 2 years of work OR customer service related experience preferred.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response to all assigned tasks - Basic
- Verbal and written communication skills –Intermediate
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy - Basic
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment managing multiple priorities - Basic
- Analytical Thinking – Basic
- Judgment/ Decision Making – Basic
- Weekend work hours - Occasionally
- Overnight work hours - Occasionally
- Holiday work hours (Federal and religious) - Occasionally
- Travel - Occasionally
- Flexibility and willingness to work extended work day hours with intermittent weekend hours given volume of work with minimal notice given.
- Operates standard office equipment - Continuously
- Sitting (Can stand at will) - Continuously
- Standing - Occasionally
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic
- 10-Key - Continuously