The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Peripheral Operator - 3rd Shift
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryThis is the entry level for operators in the Data Center. Incumbents operate or are developing skills to operate a variety of printers, inserters, finishing or mail processing machines in the Output Processing Center, or infrastructure equipment support in Hardware Operations. Additionally, periodic assignments involving manual document assembly or equipment preparation may be within the scope of the position.
The schedule for this position is 3rd shift, 11:30pm - 8:00am, Monday - Friday.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Operate under the lead of a more senior staff member computer peripheral equipment such as printers, finishing, material handling or mail processing machines and/or infrastructure support equipment.
- Execute basic peripheral machine jam and operator level service actions.
- Prepare production control reports under the direction of more senior operators or supervisors.
- Perform a variety of clerical tasks related to inventory or outgoing product control using automated or manual means.
- Interact with computer terminals or personal computers to queue work, post information, and respond to console messages.
- Do manual document assembly, postage application, or packaging as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 1 year of data center/print center related work experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Knowledge:
- A general working knowledge of computer peripheral hardware or the ability to learn this knowledge is required as entry into this position.
- A solid grasp of basic math skills is essential to maintain product controls.
- Business Knowledge & Partnership:
- The individual requires limited knowledge of the product content, and is expected to develop an understanding of the organization of the home and field organizations through this position.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Problem solving skill are required within the scope of typical peripheral equipment jams and exception handling, as well as the ability to determine errors in production at points either before or after the peripheral process the operator is supporting.
- The individual must be able to identify peripheral equipment problems and escalate as appropriate to a lead operator or supervisor.
- The individual must also be able to identify production situations that are not correct, such as documents out of sequence, inappropriate fliers, quality issues in printing or stock, and, in hardware operations, unexpected delays in equipment support.
- Team Orientation:
- Individual must constantly work in a team environment with peers performing similar activities involving output finishing or hardware operation.
- Communication Skills:
- The individual must be capable of clear oral communication with unit lead operators, managers and occasionally home office programmers via telephone.
- Planning and Project Management:
- This position requires little planning competency.
- Incumbent must be competent in planning his individual job layout, materials, and the like to accomplish production.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.