Head of eDiscovery and Records Management Law
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.Job Description
This position leads the discovery Response Management Unit (RMU) within the Law and Regulation Department, providing vision and leadership, managing and directing operations, and providing advice and counsel for all phases of discovery and records management.
In alignment with corporate goals, specific responsibilities for the eDiscovery & Records Management Leader will include:
- Acting as an internal consultant and service provider through hands-on support to attorneys and legal staff in developing, implementing, and maintaining efficient, cost-effective discovery processes
- Serving as a liaison between the in-house legal team, IT personnel, service providers, records management personnel, the privacy team, and outside counsel
- Working directly with Records Information Management to counsel on records and information management matters
- Leading the Subpoena Response Team, which is responsible for the third-party subpoenas served on the company
The most significant challenges for the eDiscovery & Records Management Leader for the first 12 months include:
- Learning the organization, culture and processes;
- Establishing credibility with and earning the trust of the legal and information management teams, to whom this executive will have a high level of visibility;
- Taking steps to expand the RMU team with additional personnel and capabilities;
- Effectively developing and mentoring the team to build broad and deep bench strength in the function.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 10 years of demonstrated increasing levels of responsibility in:
- Advising and consulting with internal teams and outside counsel to identify and implement best practices and procedures for the identification, preservation, collection, analysis, processing, review, and production of paper and eDiscovery materials generally and in particular matters
- Collaborating on process design
- Providing advice and counsel on strategic and operational records and information management matters
- Assisting in affidavit and deposition preparation
- Providing work direction, coaching, performance feedback, and final review/ approval for staff
- Reevaluating outside service provider relationships and software periodically and take corresponding action
- Experience with evaluating and integrating new technologies and communication and storage platforms into the ediscovery process
- Quick learner, self-starter, and able to lead in a team environment
- Advanced understanding of and experience with the litigation lifecycle and litigation technology and analytics, including current electronic discovery technology, issues, and methods
- Experience with specific discovery tasks such as drafting litigation holds, devising search terms, and establishing document review protocols
- Comfort with data analytics and experience with technology assisted review including Active Learning; experience with Relativity software preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong leadership, professional development, and business acumen skills; able to manage a team and work with and through others to complete highly complex projects, including organizing and prioritizing work
- Ability to oversee multiple simultaneous projects with consistently high-quality results
- Ability to identify, develop, and implement opportunities for change, including process improvements
- Ability to stay abreast of industry best practices
- Advanced knowledge of professional and legal standards, methods and concepts, and the ability to direct functional strategy
- Budget management skills
Juris doctorate preferred.Leadership Requirements and Personal Traits
The successful candidate will be a change leader and manager. This individual must also have the following personal and professional attributes which are consistent with the Company’s stated values:
- Thrive on change and continuous improvement;
- Demonstrate and foster a sense of urgency, strong commitment, and accountability while making sound decisions and achieving goals;
- Focus on exceptional customer service and drive innovation to create an atmosphere that supports new ideas and initiative;
- Strive for effective communication that results in teamwork, shared knowledge, and ideas;
- Articulate, inspire, and engage commitment to a plan of action aligned with organizational mission and goals;
- Ensure the development of a diverse pool of talent to meet current and future organizational needs;
- Create an environment where people from diverse cultures and backgrounds work together effectively;
- Be of unquestionable integrity, ethical and moral character;
- Deal effectively with ambiguity, change, and adapt appropriately to a range of situations;
- Pursue lifelong learning and personal development.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.