The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Data Architect / Oracle Data Modeler
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryEnterprise Operations Technology is in search of an energetic data analyst/data modeler with Travelers Billing Technology to work with business stakeholders to design and implement data solutions and assets. The primary function of this position is to provide architectural guidance, technological recommendations and transition strategies that support the development and implementation of initiatives based on Common Delivery, Services Based Architecture, and Agility for moderately complex or single projects.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide strategic thinking, solutions and roadmaps while driving architectural recommendations to deliver database solutions to operational systems and data marts across a variety of Travelers Billing efforts..
- Ensure architectural adherence through blueprint and design reviews.
- Assist in the remediation of application stability and performance.
- Adopt and communicate new concepts, ideas, techniques, best practices and technology assistance.
- Perform project level design, debug and performance analysis.
- Responsible for the development and production support of enterprise application utilities and models to include publishing, best practices and guidelines for supported technologies.
- Work with vendors and product management areas to establish required infrastructures and frameworks.
- Provide 'Shrink Wrap' solutions to solve business and technical needs.
- Perform product evaluations, and Proof of Concepts'.
- Provide architectural strategy and subject matter expertise in the following areas (dependent on knowledge and expertise):
- Development platforms (.NET, J2EE, COM, COBOL, CICS, IMS).
- Web Service design.
- Application Integration.
- Business Intelligence, Data Warehouse, ETL, RDBMS.
- Transaction design (OLTP, Batch, etc.).
- Component Based Design.
- Operating Systems.
- Office/Productivity Suites.
- Performance Engineering.
- WEB Technologies.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- 1 year of technology related experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in a related field preferred.
- 3-5 years data analysis, analyzing and interpreting data sources to interpret data and use it to make strategic business decisions.
3-5 years data modeling, (operational & reporting/datamarts) be able translate data requirements into solutions with a data model.
Working experience with SAFe Agile delivery methodology
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Knowledge:
- Has master level knowledge of with database concepts, solution approaches and constructs (data mapping, cardinality, data granularity, change data capture, type 2 slowly changing dimensions).
Has master level knowledge of multiple programming disciplines and a thorough understanding of the business that the assigned projects are supporting.
- Uses this understanding of the business and systems environment to develop appropriate and timely solutions to daily issues.
- Has conceptual knowledge of varying technologies and the ability to make decisions based on that knowledge.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Demonstrates sound analytic and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are loosely defined and/or where information is available but must be further manipulated.
- Once decisions are made, is able to follow and direct action to implement intended results.
- Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements effective, timely solutions.
- Openly and directly confronts conflict until resolved. Knows how to execute to get things done.
- Able to perform credible analyses.
- Uses sound judgment and reasoning to draw conclusions leading to the selection of the best solution from a review of the alternatives.
- Effectively assesses short-term implications of decisions and understands the impact on the department and business unit(s) supported.
- Team Orientation:
- Builds relationships with peers and other departments to achieve objectives, to work as one team and to secure necessary resources not under his/her personal control.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views.
- Gives and welcomes feedback.
- Puts success of team above own interest.
- Supports a distinct business unit or several smaller functions.
- Responsibilities are assigned with some latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using established policies and procedures.
- Results are reviewed with next level manager for clarification and direction before proceeding
- Commitment to Quality Result:
- Creates an atmosphere where business partner's issues are dealt with professionally, and in a timely manner.
- Suggests solutions that make sense and optimize the value of assigned projects.
- Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience.
- Recognizes the importance of superior quality in providing a competitive edge.
- Ensures that reports are precise, timely and accurate.
- Planning and Project Management:
- Works with the project manager/manager in identifying those project tasks that are most important, establishes clear priorities and understands the larger picture.
- Anticipates and effectively responds to changes in workload and resources
- Financial Awareness:
- Understands, has input to the budget process, and shares responsibility for cost-effective expense control of assigned projects.
- Is responsible for important and confidential information.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.