The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Claim Representative, Inside Property
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryUnder moderate supervision, this position is responsible for the handling of first party property claims including: investigating, evaluating, estimating and negotiating to ensure optimal claim resolution for personal or business property claims of moderate severity and complexity.
Claims may also involve low severity building damage with some personal property and business personal property related to a wide variety of causes of loss.
Claims can involve higher exposure depending on loss type and nature of the damaged property.
Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations.
As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Handles 1st party property claims of moderate severity and complexity as assigned.
- Establishes accurate scope of damages for building and contents losses and utilizes as a basis for written estimates and/or computer assisted estimates.
- Broad scale use of innovative technologies.
- Investigates and evaluates all relevant facts to determine coverage (including but not limited to analyzing leases, contracts, by-laws and other relevant documents which may have an impact), damages, business interruption calculations and liability of first party property claims under a variety of policies. Secures recorded or written statements as appropriate.
- Establishes timely and accurate claim and expense reserves.
- Determines appropriate settlement amount based on independent judgment, computer assisted building and/or contents estimate, estimation of actual cash value and replacement value, contractor estimate validation, appraisals, application of applicable limits and deductibles and work product of Independent Adjusters.
- Negotiates and conveys claim settlements within authority limits.
- Writes denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex correspondence.
- Properly assesses extent of damages and manages damages through proper usage of cost evaluation tools.
- Meets all quality standards and expectations in accordance with the Knowledge Guides.
- Maintains diary system, capturing all required data and documents claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Manages file inventory to ensure timely resolution of cases.
- Handles files in compliance with state regulations, where applicable.
- Provides excellent customer service to meet the needs of the insured, agent and all other internal and external customers/business partners.
- Recognizes when to refer claims to Travelers Special Investigations Unit and/or Subrogation Unit.
- Identifies and refers claims with Major Case Unit exposure to the manager.
- Performs administrative functions such as expense accounts, time off reporting, etc. as required.
- Provides multi-line assistance in response to workforce management needs; including but not limited to claim handling for Auto, Workers Compensation, General Liability and other areas of the business as needed.
- May provides mentoring and coaching to less experienced claim professionals.
- May attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials, trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Must secure and maintain company credit card required.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- A minimum of one year previous inside property claim handling experience or successful completion of Travelers Inside Claim Representative training program required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors Degree preferred.
- 2+ years previous inside property claim handling experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Interpersonal and customer service skills - Advanced
- Organizational and time management skills - Intermediate
- Ability to work independently – Intermediate
- Judgment, analytical and decision making skills - Intermediate
- Negotiation skills- Intermediate
- Written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to convey and receive information effectively – Intermediate
- Investigative skills – Intermediate
- Ability to analyze and determine coverage – Intermediate
- Analyze, and evaluate damages – Intermediate
- Resolve claims within settlement authority - Intermediate
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.