The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Data Engineering Lead, Claim Auto/Property and MaaS
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryThe Data Engineering Lead provides strategic oversight of data preparation and predictive model implementations that benefit business strategic initiatives across Claim Auto and Property business units. In addition, the lead will work in conjunction with the architecture community to ensure alignment with Models as a Service (MaaS) roadmaps, reference architecture and standards. This position will have have direct reports and a team of 10+.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Data Analysis, Acquisition, Preparation, and Exploration:
- Perform complex analysis, expert level design, configuration and programming functions for impactful and highly visible projects.
- Lead investigation and resolution efforts for critical, high impact problems, defects & incidents.
- Ensure the team complies with Travelers standards, processes, and protocols.
- Identify gaps and recommends solutions.
- Review complex data derivations, business transformation rules, and data requirements. Recommends best practices regarding data usage.
- Collaborate with project team and enterprise-wide stakeholders to identify, estimate, and prioritize project and/or enhancement activities.
- Create and present complex (technology and features) data visualizations techniques to help support data exploration to business and functional partners
- Data Solutions & Analytic Implementations:
- Partner with Information Technology to architect and develop strategic data solutions including transformation logic, rules, tables, as well as business requirements, governance, and specifications.
- Responsible for operationalizing and automating of complex data (more systems, data sets and streams, size of data sets more substantial) products into business.
- Oversee the implementation and integration of analytic data products, including pilots and proof of concepts.
- Apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements.
- Data Culture:
- Exhibit excellent communication skills with the ability to present and translate complex information to leadership and non-technical teams.
- Ensure business and data users are properly trained on data products/analytic environment. Identifies training opportunities.
- Data Strategy and Execution:
- Recommend data strategies, enterprise architectures, platforms and application infrastructure required to successfully implement a complete solution using best practices.
- Integrate work efforts within respective business and enterprise portfolios.
- Oversee portfolios and ensures resources are appropriately aligned to implement on going projects, enhancements, initiatives and/or problem resolution.
- Provide leadership by driving priorities, assigning work and coaching / mentoring unit members.
- Ability to work well and build consensus among a diverse group of stakeholders to create alignment from a prioritization, business capability, delivery and support perspective.
- 8 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation required.
- 3 years of leadership experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College Degree in STEM related field
- Technical Knowledge:
- Master knowledge of data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred. Examples (but not limited to):
- Big data and Cloud platforms
- Programming languages - SAS, SQL, Spark, Python, Hive, AWS
- 9 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred.
- 5 years Leadership experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Communication Skills:
- Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team and leadership.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Able to expertly diagnose root causes, solve complex problems, and collaborate effectively with business and technical teams.
- Able to break a problem down into manageable pieces, evaluate potential risks/alternatives, and implement effective, timely solutions.
- Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action including escalating situations as appropriate.
- Demonstrates sound decision making and problem resolution skills.
- Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly.
- Optimizes the use of all available resources.
- Trusted technical advisor.
- Relationship Management:
- Able to promote, maintain, and enhance partnerships across the organization to achieve objectives and engage stakeholders.
- Able to influence project stakeholders and team members.
- Practices objectivity and openness to others' views. Able to recognize and support team priorities.
- Able to develop and leverage business and/or vendor partnerships, consult on business priorities, and optimize value through solution identification aligned with business objectives, goals, and future data direction.
- Planning and Project Management:
- Demonstrates ability to identify critical project tasks and establish clear priorities while keeping the overall strategy in mind.
- Able to manage time and competing priorities.
- Effectively communicates technical risks, issues and escalates appropriately.
- Able to accurately estimate the tasks and resources needed to complete assigned project work.
- Demonstrates ability to understand relevant costs associated with assigned project work.
- Able to set and assign technical goals and priorities for self and team members.
- Exhibits team leadership. Able to set team's technical direction.
- Accountable for providing feedback and/or coaching
- Strong influencer and/or consulting skills; able to build consensus among a diverse group of enterprise-wide stakeholders.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.