The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Associate, Analytics & Research- Remote
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummarySupport the strategy and manage projects, people or innovation streams. Conduct a variety of statistical analyses including data mining, predictive modeling and/or actuarial techniques. Review analyses and provide direction and insight. Serve as a subject matter expert in one or more of the following: Advanced statistical analyses. Actuarial and/or research methods. Broad business knowledge. In-depth Line of Business knowledge. May provide direction to a team of analysts and/or project members.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform and manage a variety of advanced statistical analyses including data mining and actuarial research techniques.
- Analyze/interpret data, draw business inferences and clearly articulate findings for target audience.
- May manage one or more advanced research projects simultaneously.
- Present analysis and recommendations to target audience.
- May lead in-depth efforts in applying, validating and implementing predictive models.
- Apply established techniques to new business problems.
- Proactively stay abreast of industry, developments, changing trends and jurisdictional issues.
- Attend various seminars and conference as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners.
- Partner with peers across organization and potentially across the company, to ensure consistency and alignment where appropriate.
- PhD STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) degree with zero years experience or Masters STEM degree with 3 years experience or Bachelor's STEM degree with 5 yrs experience required.
- Moderate working knowledge of modeling/research/analytics or actuarial required.
- Relevant statistical analysis work experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Relevant work experience in research and/or advanced analytic work (e.g. predictive modeling) preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Ability to read/revise/review a statistical software program (e.g. R, SAS, SPSS.)
- Ability to create advanced programs from scratch.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making.
- Risk Taking, Innovation.
- Results Orientation.
- Business Perspective.
- Understanding & Navigating the Organization (Includes Collaboration).
- Forging Synergy.
- Communicating Effectively.
- Leveraging Differences.
- Building & Mending Relationships.
- Employee Development.
- Leading Self:
- Openness to Influence, Flexibility.
- Self Awareness.
- Seeks Opportunities to Learn.
- Leadership Stature.
- Understanding and knowledge of key business knowledge areas (e.g. product, enterprise, industry, claim process and competitors).
- Ability to leverage business knowledge to determine approaches to execution.
- Ability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; ability to use reason; review facts, identify inconsistencies and weigh options; ability to make logical and timely decisions that address the right issues.
- Ability to develop advanced models and interpret model results.
- Understanding of advanced statistics underlying data models.
- Ability to apply new statistical procedures to work.
- Demonstrates intermediate to strong ability and knowledge of database principles, data profiling, statistics and data modeling and can apply this knowledge in new or complex situations.
- May guide other professionals.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.