The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Workers Compensation Data Consultant
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryThis individual will be responsible for efficiently and effectively delivering timely, accurate and complete policy, financial, and claim information to Workers Compensation Boards and Bureaus. The candidate will handle policy, financial, and statistical reporting for their respective bureau(s) as well as loss-related reporting (i.e. Financial Data Calls, Detailed Claim Information and the Medical Data Call). The candidate will perform root cause error resolution, be responsible for modifying and implementing business and operational specifications, and facilitate testing efforts. On the job learning will enable the candidate to handle Proof of Coverage and Unit Statistical questions and issues, reporting error analysis and resolution, management of reporting fines, and foster successful Bureau relationships. Knowledge of policy exposures, claim, and/or medical bill review would be desired to support analytics. We are looking for a strong analytical, self-starting individuals who will continually challenge the process to look for improvement opportunities and are tenacious in interrogating the data to ensure its accuracy. Position offers exposure to various areas throughout the Company such as Claim, Premium Audit, Product & Platform, and Customer Solutions & Support.
Positions within this family ensure data is properly managed and leveraged from Source to Storage to Delivery in the most efficient and effective way to benefit the organization. This position performs accountabilities under general supervision and: Leverages technology and analytics skills to apply basic data analysis practices that benefit business and IT strategic initiatives . Performs intermediate data profiling, metadata documentation, data lineage, data transformation rules in support of key program deliverables. Meets data management needs of internal and external clients according to established standards, including problem research/resolution and customer education . Provides data subject matter expertise within areas of knowledge to business and IT organizations . Performs data impact analyses in partnership with project teams . This job does not lead others . General supervision: the employee is told what to do but not how to do it. The how to is left up to the employee. These jobs have some discretion on accountabilities.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and applies data derivations, rules; and data requirements that align with standards and regulatory compliance.
- Lead components of data governance and metadata processes.
- Develops and implements Data Management standards and best practices.
- Serves as data management lead on low to medium complex projects to review data requirements against data standards.
- Develops business rules, applies data profiling and/or application logic.
- Applies data and data quality definitions and standards, and transformation rules, in daily work.
- Works with other organizational units and resources to gather, analyze and present data.
- Participates in the development project plans and carries out assigned tasks.
- Monitors, identifies, investigates, prioritizes, remediates and communicates data quality issues.
- Performs data profiling, analyzes and communicates results in support of data quality processes.
- Contributes to developing data quality criteria and the resolution activities to ensure integrity of data source.
- Contributes to implementation of processes to certify data quality for business intelligence purposes.
- Applies knowledge of end to end data flow and lineage from capture at source, to storage, to delivery and its business intent at each stage (i.e. capture, transformation, fragmentation, editing).
- Performs all necessary functions to meet strategic goals and objectives of the unit.
- Demonstrates understanding of overall data models, data relationships, mapping lineage and business rules and participates in the creation of data models (e.g. entity design and population).
- Data Analysis:
- Develops and maintains business data requirements and specifications; to support data standards, ensuring that solutions (structure, values, relationships, quality standards) meet operational and business need.
- Work with business areas and project team members to understand new business data capabilities and perform impact analysis to determine additional data requirements, provide data expertise and data as needed.
- Analyzes customer requests (internal and external regulatory, e.g. data calls) for changes to production systems, determines impact on existing systems, processes and develops appropriate specifications, enhancements and or procedures to comply. Meet with customer and conduct fact gathering sessions.
- Oversee deliverables to ensure compliance (e.g. state/bureau requirements).
- Perform testing and validation of business requirements. Create detailed test strategies and test plans.
- Analyzes data in preparation for retiring old capabilities.
- Facilitates the root cause analysis and resolution of business data issues, including proposal and implementation of specification or procedural changes to address issue, working with impacted areas.
- Represent unit and department functions as part of Data Management committees with internal and external areas (e.g. Product Underwriting, Statistical Bureaus, etc.).
- 2 years analytics experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) or Business preferred.
- Insurance knowledge preferred
- Understands concepts and applications of business information models
- Demonstrates understanding of relationship between data and business rules and functions.
- Proficient with tools and software to extract and analyze data in the data management function.
Licensing or Certificates
- CPCU preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Working knowledge of enterprise uses of data and total data flow within enterprise.
- Working knowledge of data practices and principles for data analysis and data management.
- Demonstrated intermediate analytic and diagnostic skills.
- Demonstrated intermediate interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated intermediate communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others.
- Working understanding of the business functions, processes, and overall business strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to see results to completion.
- Intermediate business acumen.
- Seeks opportunities to learn.
- Intermediate problem solving and decision making skills
- General understanding of the business functions, processes, and overall business strategies.
- Intermediate skill/competency level: demonstrates solid knowledge and ability; can apply the competency with minimal or no guidance, in the full range of typical situations. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment.
- Requires extended periods of computer use.
- Requires extended periods of sitting.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.