Arity-Sr Data Scientist - Geospatial
Founded by The Allstate Corporation in 2016, Arity is a data and analytics company focused on improving transportation. We collect and analyze enormous amounts of data, using predictive analytics to build solutions with a single goal in mind: to make transportation smarter, safer and more useful for everyone. At the heart of that mission are the people that work here—the dreamers, doers and difference-makers that call this place home. As part of that team, your work will showcase both your intelligence and your creativity as you tackle real problems and put your talents towards transforming transportation. That’s because at Arity, we believe work and life shouldn’t be at odds with one another. After all, we know that your unique qualities give you a unique perspective. We don’t just want you to see yourself here. We want you to be yourself here.The Team
At Arity, our Data Science team is at the core of helping us transform mobility. We not only know how to analyze and find meaning within billions of miles of driving data collected from smartphones, onboard devices and third parties; we are passionate about how it affects the end-users of our products. On our team people get the opportunity to build scalable distributed data pipelines, develop and deploy an array of machine learning algorithms, and create eye-opening data visualizations. We find top talent from various quantitative disciplines to collaborate with product owners, software engineers, and experience designers in development teams to create innovative products to make transportation smarter, safer, and more useful for everyone.
This role leads analytics support for a cross-functional team tasked with the development and validation of Arity’s geospatial capabilities, a strategic component of our mobility analytics platform. You will be a key subject matter expert within Arity that shapes the vision of what geospatial services we will create, including a diverse library of map layers (zones, road attributes, places of interest, telematics aggregations, insurance data aggregations, weather), the infrastructure supporting storage and query for these map layers at high throughput, a set of geospatial algorithms, and visualization. An ideal candidate will have a technical background in geospatial analytics, a product-focus, and a passion for managing people.
- Manage, coach, and mentor Data Analytics Engineers and Data Scientists within a cross-functional team responsible for building Arity’s geospatial services.
- Utilize analytical techniques to enhance services, validate performance, and derive insight to drive business decisions.
- Work with cross-functional partners including Product and Engineering to define requirements, influence roadmaps, develop and validate solutions, and implement products across multiple channels.
- Work with cross-vertical colleagues to deliver solutions amenable to downstream analytical products.
- Bring thought leadership to evolve this newly formalized team, introduce new technologies, and develop efficient, re-usable, and scalable algorithms.
- Degree in a quantitative field
- 5+ years of experience in a quantitative field.
- Experience managing an analytics team in highly dynamic environment.
- Uses and learns a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results (e.g., Python, Spark, data lakes, in-memory databases).
- Expertise in geospatial data and query patterns; familiarity with geospatial or networking algorithms.
- Experience working with stakeholders and leaders to define data and analytics products and messaging.
- Knowledge of advanced modeling techniques, experience in using statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques to build models.
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise.
- Optional: Familiarity with Map Tile storage and query mechanisms
- Optional: Experience with stream processing or actor-based frameworks (e.g. Kafka, Flink, Strorm, Akka)
- Optional: Experience with creating and supporting Geoportals
- Optional: Experience with Geographical Information Systems software
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
That’s the day-to-day, now let’s talk about the rest of it. As we mentioned, Arity was founded by The Allstate Corporation. But you’ll be working for—and at—Arity. It’s the best of both worlds. You’ll get access to the full suite of Allstate benefits and work in a fast-paced startup culture. That’s more than just free breakfasts, brain breaks and ping pong. It’s a culture that encourages you to be you.
Sound like a fit? Apply now! We can’t wait to meet you.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment