The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Software Engineer (Ab Initio)
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryTravelers Reinsurance Technology is looking for an experienced Ab Initio Developer to deliver high priority epics across the release train that heavily rely on this technology. This role will also provide direction, coaching and mentorship to junior Ab Initio Developers in training. Perform a variety of functions that include: analysis, design, development, testing, and execution of fully functional software. This role works closely with Product Owners, Business Analysts, Scrum Masters, Architects, and others on the agile development team to build out new application features according to acceptance criteria/requirements. Primary focus will be on Ab Initio technology with opportunities to support more than one programming language and several operating systems and platforms.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Acts as an Ab Initio Developer on an agile development team that supports a variety of work types (enhancements, research/consultation, strategic projects, and daily production demands)
- Translates acceptance criteria/requirements into functional deliverables and helps coach the team on implementation
- Writes high quality code within prescribed iterations
- Performs unit testing and acts as a subject matter expert to QA and Business Testers through the testing lifecycle
- Develops Ab Initio graphs/plans while adhering to best practices
- Performs graph tuning with robust error handling/data validation and reconciliation
- Leads issue investigation and resolution activities for high priority incidents
- Maintains automated test scripts (as applicable)
- Estimates user stories/size of efforts with accuracy
- Actively participates in user story refinements and design sessions to influence the sustainability and extendibility of the technical solution
- Documents the data extracting/loading mapping processes; documents the data transforming processes; documents the data relationships and maintaining the consistency of the data.
- Perform analysis, design, development, and configuration functions (includes defining technical requirements) with a high degree of accuracy and speed, operating as an individual contributor to team goals.
- Perform analysis, assessment and resolution for defects and incidents of advanced complexity and escalate appropriately.
- Work independently to tackle well-scoped and loosely scoped problems.
- Seek opportunities to expand technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to less experienced employees.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in work experience.
- Two years of programming/development experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Expert experience with Ab Initio and ETL technologies.
- Experience in designing and building applications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working in Agile delivery methodologies.
- Experience with Reinsurance principles (preferred).
- Four years of programming/development experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Delivery - Intermediate delivery skills including the ability to estimate accurate timelines for tasks and deliver work at a steady, predictable pace to achieve commitments, contribute to the software design strategy and methodologies used to best meet the system requirements, consider and build for many different use cases, avoid over engineering, and ensure automation, deliver complete solutions but release them in small batches, and identify important tradeoffs and negotiate them.
- Domain Expertise - Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including understanding technical concepts necessary to do the job effectively and aware of industry trends, demonstrate willingness, cooperation, and concern for business issues and priorities, and possess in depth knowledge of immediate systems worked on and some knowledge of adjacent systems.
- Problem Solving - Strong problem solver who ensures solutions are built for the long term, is able to resolve new issues, recognizes mistakes using them as learning and teaching opportunities and consistently breaks down large problems into smaller, more manageable ones.
- Communication - Strong communicator who possesses the ability to articulate information clearly and concisely with the business, document work in a clear, easy to follow manner, collaborate well with team members as both a mentor and mentee, take in vague requirements and ask the right questions to ensure clarification, offer feedback appropriately and effectively, seek out and receives constructive criticism well, listen when others are speaking and make space for colleagues to share their thoughts.
- Leadership - Intermediate leadership skills with the ability to help create a safe environment for others to learn and grow as engineers and a proven track record of self-motivation in identifying opportunities and tracking team efforts.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.