The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Sr. Manager, Actuarial & Analytics - BI Actuarial Product
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryThis position will have a critical role in the rollout of the new Business Insurance Commercial Multi-Peril product, Travelers BOP 2.0. The person in this role will:
• Lead the post-monitoring analysis of several rating elements and recommend adjustments to improve rating accuracy
• Have responsibility for ensuring successful implementation of the new product by partnering with the Product & Platform teams
• Assist with the development of the new BOP 2.0 Benchmark tool & make enhancements to the existing tool
• Work closely with BI Analytics & Research to influence modeling analysis & results while ensuring accurate implementation
• Collaborate with Data Engineering, Location Intelligence, and Product Management to make sure data needs are met & correct interpretation of results are made
• Possess strong technical aptitude in Excel, SAS and other programming languages
• Have the ability to lead self and others, influence the business, and communicate clearly and concisely with business partners
• Manage an Actuarial Leadership Development Program participant and/or intern
The Sr. Manager, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic leadership role that encompasses the management of assigned strategic initiatives and operational assignments which may include reserving, rate-making, pricing, planning/forecasting, project management and research. The individual in this role is expected to lead project teams of actuarial & analytic partners and provide analytical insights and recommendations to leadership and Business partners. The Sr. Manager, Actuarial and Analytics will work within broad limits and authority on complex assignments requiring specialized knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or depth in one or more of the following areas: Actuarial and/or research methods Advanced statistical analyses Broad business knowledge In-depth Line of Business knowledge Awareness of enterprise Actuarial & Analytics community This role may act as a manager of a small team.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Hold a lead role in strategic planning as well as manage the successful execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Develop solutions to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Propose change and innovation in order to improve project team performance and timelines.
- This position will often participate on cross-unit initiatives and may participate on Enterprise initiatives.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Support broad department initiatives.
- Begin to promote efficiency across primary working group, balancing additional effort against incremental lift gained from work.
- Begin to make decisions independently in accordance with department practices.
- Begin to provide direction and review others' analytical work.
- Begin to translate business requests into analytical solutions.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates analysis, project results, and other business initiatives on a regular basis to staff, peers, and business partners.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audience with guidance from manager.
- Actively participates and may lead group discussions.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or presentations with guidance.
- Networks and collaborates on ideas and challenges.
- Staff responsibilities may include direct management of 1 to 2 individual contributors or interns.
- Acquisition, retention, and development of talent for assigned unit.
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals.
- Talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 3 years of experience in quantitative analysis required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
- 5+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Management experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Take ownership of projects including initiating the project, drawing up the project plan, carrying out the action items and make recommendations.
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting decisiveness and self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including modeling the way for others and leading team projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting an Enterprise culture.
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of a few key business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products, reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim, and financials.
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in developing analytic solutions.
- Has a general perspective of certain areas of the industry and developing trends such as: technology, analytic methodology, products and performance of competitors.
- Begins to be familiar with other key business drivers and discipline areas as well.
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships across the BI&AA community across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and build consensus with guidance.
- Aware of potential conflict and addresses with limited guidance.
- Begin to acknowledge accomplishments of others within your primary working group.
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for small projects.
- Evaluate and use appropriate data, tools and methods.
- Independently perform and implement analytics.
- May engage in technical/peer review.
- Begin to design and able to contribute on more complex analytic work.
- Begin to understand diverse perspectives to effectively accomplish business goals.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.