The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Account Underwriter, Bond & SI
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryUnder general supervision, responsible for the profitability, growth and retention of assigned book of business within an assigned territory that is consistent with overall Bond and Specialty Insurance/BU strategy and objectives. Primary responsibilities include: Underwriting new and renewal business Building and maintaining productive relationships with agents and brokers Consistently achieving budgeted financial results Collaborating with BU and region colleagues as well as internal/external business associates Sales and marketing Facilitation of underwriting workflow, process and operations This job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwriting & Pricing:
- Underwrites and assesses risk for routine, small to mid-size, renewals and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies. Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority.
- Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency plant, working with more experienced underwriters if outside authority.
- Is able to determine if an account is within or outside underwriting appetite/strategy.
- Makes recommendations to underwriter 2, as appropriate.
- Inputs financials and is able to calculate key ratios and draw conclusions about the general financial health of an account.
- Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office underwriters.
- Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information.
- Meets quality assurance standards.
- Underwriting Operations:
- Manages flow of new and renewal business.
- May be involved in complex non-premium bearing activities (e.g. renewal solicitation; troubleshooting billing/accounting issues, collections); is the resident go-.
- to person for underwriting systems and process questions.
- May process renewal transactions.
- Handles day-to-day business requests from agents.
- Agency Management/Relationship:
- May participate in agency training sessions.
- Primary agency relationship is CSR.
- Sales Management/Marketing:
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities via the renewal or submission process or by expanding existing relationships; may prospect for new relationships.
- Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker sales goals.
- Develops relationships with key broker and agency staff.
- Executes on agency plant sales plan; may co-develop plan.
- Participates in Region and/or Business Unit sales meetings.
- May partner with colleagues in other Bond and Specialty Insurance or Travelers BUs to cross sell all Travelers products.
- Is able to utilize analytics and tools to assist in the sale and pricing (if applicable) of accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree or one year of relevant business experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has a minimum of 6 months to 3 years of experience.
- Industry Knowledge:
- Demonstrates a fundamental understanding of the local marketplace.
- Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn about Travelers and BU critical business issues and financial drivers.
- Product Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of BU products/coverages and pricing and the linkages to strategy.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work.
Licensing or Certificates
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Negotiates skillfully in routine situations.
- Gains the trust of others quickly.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; does not assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment.
- Requires extended periods of computer use.
- Requires extended periods of sitting.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.