The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Manager, Business Performance Analytics
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryThis position uses data and analytics to drive business results; leverage internal and external information to identify quantifiable and actionable opportunities for the business unit and is responsible for reporting, monitoring, analyzing data and trends, and communicating these business results across various audiences and partnering on strategic initiatives to ensure optimal outcomes.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Uses analytics to explain business results, monitor business strategies and identify actionable opportunities
- Uses data visualization and storytelling skills to effectively communicate insights and help influence decision/outcomes.
- Leverages industry best practices, market data and technology trends to identify business opportunities.
- Effectively works with cross functional teams on varying business initiatives
- Influences business strategy and helps to prioritize investments based on translating insights to business value
- Collaborates with IT and data management teams to ensure correct data is persisted for business critical analysis
- Builds strategic business partnerships with IT, Actuarial, Operations, Finance, Data Management and Claim functional areas.
- Can manipulate raw data and understands the ultimate design required to meet business requests.
- Directs the development of analysis.
- Interprets data to recognize patterns and analyze trends.
- Completes reasonability and validation tests.
- Designs and executes Proofs of Concept to inform business strategies.
- Monitors performance indicators and identifies possible improvements.
- Assess the financial impact of recommendations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and 3 years analytics experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree in mathematics, finance, computer science, statistics, MIS or equivalent experience preferred.
- Typically has a minimum of 4-6 years of experience in Descriptive Analytics or related field.
- 4+ years working successfully with Microsoft office products and software/programming applications specific to business supported.
- Working knowledge of tools such as SAS, R, SQL preferred.
- General knowledge of Descriptive Analytic practices and processes. General knowledge of insurance products/concepts required.
- Previous experience leading others preferred.
- General knowledge of the main features of the collection of data and the relationship of data elements to each other.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- General understanding of the business functions, processes, and overall business strategies of businesses supported.
- Demonstrated intermediate analytic and diagnostic skills.
- Demonstrated intermediate interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated intermediate communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others.
- Intermediate project management skills.
- General understanding of the business functions, processes, and overall business strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to see results to completion.
- Intermediate business acumen.
- Intermediate Computer Skills in Excel, database programming language and related applications.
- Intermediate problem solving and decision making skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with others across functions.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Ability to consider others ideas seriously and accept feedback.
- Builds and maintains credibility with others.
- If incumbent leads others, intermediate leadership skills including ability to:
- Leverage Differences.
- Manage in participative manner.
- Intermediate ability to develop employees preferred.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Requires extended periods of computer use
- Requires extended periods of sitting.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.