The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Business Systems Consultant
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryUnder limited supervision, the Business Systems Consultant collaborates with business partners and technology owners in the prioritization of change requests, enhancements and defects. Is aware of business and technology strategies that affect their domain and are responsible to assess and communicate impacts of changes to the environment. Must be able to bring together a diverse stakeholder group, drive consensus and create a shared understanding between the customer community and the solution delivery team. The Business Systems Consultant is responsible for/involved in all aspects of the life of a specific system/application. May include: evaluation of system enhancement requests, requirements development and documentation, testing and implementation; production support/troubleshooting, maintenance of system documentation, training responding to customer concerns and communicating results. The Business Systems Consultant possesses in-depth knowledge of a particular business capability, product and/or system domain. Utilizing knowledge of the business and the specific application(s), anticipates and proactively identifies system opportunities to support business needs. May specialize in a particular technology or skill. This job typically acts as a team lead. The Business Systems Consultant provides direction, coaching and mentoring to less experienced team members.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate as team member on projects in PeopleSoft Accounts Payable and Asset Management modules. Projects involve upgrades and expanded system functionality.
- Assist in management and monitoring of system issues in day to day operations.
- Be a technical resource for customers and other team members.
- Recommend solutions for process inefficiencies.
- Work as liaison with IT support to ensure technical requirements are met.
- Work as liaison with Business partners to analyze and define requirements and build and monitor service level agreements.
- Design and perform testing of system updates and upgrades.
- Simultaneously supports multiple projects as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Utilizes business and system knowledge to support business needs.
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of a particular business capability and/or system domain.
- Understands impacts of changes to current state business process, data, feeds and systems.
- Identifies potential impacts in other systems domains.
- May participate in departmental or divisional planning process, Provides subject matter expertise and capabilities to Business and IT Projects.
- Evaluates requests for projects and enhancements.
- May make recommendations for operational process improvements and/or system enhancements.
- Collaborates with project leads to develop requirements work plans, identify task dependencies, develop estimates and determine resource skill requirements; support risk management and change management activities.
- Validates the solution (people, process and technology) meets the business capability, product or system objectives.
- Identifies appropriate subject matter experts and stakeholders to participate in requirements sessions.
- Participate in validation and verification activities such as test planning, test execution and issue management.
- Production support/troubleshooting:
- Consults on troubleshooting and defect resolution. This includes requesting resources, migration through environments and ticket management.
- Proactively communicates status of enhancements, change requests and defects.
- May manage change, defect and enhancement request process and assignment of approved work.
- Maintains documentation of current state systems and processes.
- Assists in development of training materials and business implementation/transition activities.
- Simultaneously supports multiple projects as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Three years of experience supporting business technology systems required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree in Business, MIS, or other related field preferred.
- Five years of experience supporting business technology systems preferred.
Licensing or Certificates
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business Perspective (Advanced):
Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property casualty industry to make decisions.
- Technology (Intermediate):
Uses, leverages and maintains proficiency with corporate and job specific technology as it evolves (e.g., hardware, software, business unit applications and systems tools).
- Analytical Thinking (Intermediate):
Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesize and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Relationship Management (Intermediate):
Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Communication (Intermediate):
Demonstrates effective verbal, written, and listening communication skills.
- Facilitation (Intermediate):
Uses and adjusts style and technique to assist group process and understanding.
- Teamwork (Intermediate):
Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Conflict Management (Intermediate):
Brings conflicts into the open and resolves them collaboratively.
- Change Management / Resilience (Intermediate):
Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Risk Taking (Intermediate):
Identifies, assesses, manages and takes intelligent risks to attain objectives.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.