The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Sr Regulatory Analyst / with Property & Casualty Insurance Experience
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryIn Business Insurance State & Bureau Regulatory Affairs Department, the Sr. Regulatory Analyst will manage the development, submission, negotiation and approval of Commercial Lines rate, rule and form filings commensurate with business objectives and in compliance with regulatory requirements. This position manages more complex and controversial filings and related filing issues. The position will provide support to business units on filing-related inquires and coordinate interaction with business unit representatives, Legal, Government Affairs and other areas to assure appropriate individuals are involved during the course of a filing. Provides leadership and mentoring to Regulatory staff. Provides technical expertise and support to business units on filing related issues.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and prepare rule, rate and form filings to achieve business unit objectives and gain regulatory approval. This includes providing direction and support to the business units in the development and preparation of the material to be filed. Develops the overall filing strategy.
- Manage the communication and negotiation of filings with state insurance departments in a manner that will result in timely approval of company products.
- Apply problem solving techniques to assist business unit personnel when responding to regulatory issues. Communicate with appropriate company personnel to ensure timely implementation of filings.
- Review and analyze state insurance department statutes, regulations, bulletins, etc. to determine filing and regulatory requirements. Stay current on changes and developments that impact insurance design and development, in addition to filing requirements. Interpret state insurance statutes, regulations, etc. to provide guidance and direction to business units.
- Develop and maintain extensive personal contacts with state insurance department staff. Work with Legal, Government Affairs and Compliance personnel to identify and communicate sensitive regulatory issues or political situations. Represent the company at industry meetings.
- Perform other related duties, including short or long term projects, as assigned by senior staff.
- Bachelors Degree and 3 years work experience (knowledge of filings, compliance or related fields) or High School Diploma and 4 years related work experience (knowledge of filings, compliance or related fields) required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Knowledge of regulatory and compliance aspects of the insurance industry.
- Knowledge of business line products, including company organization and procedures.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to negotiate skillfully and successfully.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of various computer applications (Email, Microsoft Word, etc.)
- Technical/Business Competence:
- Strong knowledge of general regulatory requirements as they relate to commercial insurance.
- Expertise in state regulations for assigned states.
- Creative problem solving skills and ability to identify complex, critical and sensitive filing issues.
- Quality work products that are accurate, clear, concise and thorough.
- Ability to concisely present complex regulatory issues.
- Understands, synthesizes and conveys complex data.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Communicates effectively at all levels across the organization.
- Takes responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task duties and projects on a timely basis.
- Establishes self as credible, reliable and available both within and outside the organization.
- Understands the business and responds to all related issues and problems in a timely manner.
- Interpersonal Skills/Contribution to Overall Effectiveness of Unit:
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships across organizational lines.
- Willing to accept new responsibilities and adapt to change.
- Ability to represent the company as its spokesperson, work in a sensitive environment and promote the company image.
- Works independently and in a team environment; promotes teamwork.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.