The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Sr. Director, Solutions Architect
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryThe primary function of this position is to provide architectural leadership and technological recommendations and transition strategies that support the development and implementation of initiatives based on Common Delivery, Services Based Architecture, and Agility, for highly complex and/or multiple projects. In addition, this position helps develop the strategic and technical initiatives behind line of business and/or enterprise projects and programs.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- The Architecture Manager will responsible for leading a team of 5-6 architects supporting Auto and Third Party Data initiatives.
- Partner with Architect leads, Delivery leads, and Platform to reach the best architectural and technological recommendations to deliver business value.
- Helps define the strategy and process for solutions and road maps for architectural recommendations.
- Provides oversight of the governance process and ensures adherence through blueprint and design reviews.
- Designs and implements the strategy for stability and performance of solutions (including - project level design, debug and performance analysis) at the line of business and/or enterprise level.
- Helps set the strategy for escalating priorities for remediation of application stability and performance.
- Provides leadership in identifying new concepts, ideas, techniques, best practices and technology assistance (best practices, guidelines and models for supported technologies).
- Collaborates across enterprise on common portfolios or domains.
- Partner with vendors and product management areas to establish required infrastructures and frameworks.
- Lead product evaluations and Proof of Concepts.
- Educates and influences customers on the most effective use of technology.
- Provides architectural strategy and subject matter expertise on assigned areas. Examples include, but are not limited to:Development platforms (.NET, J2EE, COM, COBOL, CICS, IM)User and B2B InterfacesWeb Service designApplication IntegrationBusiness Intelligence, Data Warehouse, ETL, RDBMSMiddleware technologiesDocument Composition and Forms technologiesDocument, Imaging and Web Content ManagementPrint technology supportTransaction design (OLTP, Batch, etc.)Component Based DesignOperating SystemsOffice/Productivity SuitesERP SystemsPerformance EngineeringNetworks, Telephony
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- 6 years of experience in enterprise, application, and/or information architecture required.
- 3 years of experience managing others and/or technical teams.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in a related field preferred.
- 9 years of experience in enterprise, application, and/or information architecture preferred.
- 5 years of experience managing others and/or technical teams.
- Experience with Service based architecture (Microservices, API's)
- Experience with Event based Architecture (RabbitMQ)
- Experience with Cloud based computing/technologies (AWS)
- Data background
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Knowledge:
- Advanced conceptual understanding of capabilities and direction of technology, coupled with an in-depth knowledge of the technology required and the needs of business environments necessary to support assigned projects.
- Management & Team Orientation:
- Able to understand of staff roles and abilities and provide input regarding their development.
- Able to build and maintain partnerships across the organization and influence effectively.
- Able to put success of the team above own interest.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Advanced analytical and diagnostics skills.
- Able to solve highly complex problems by using accepted processes or creating new approaches to leverage technology.
- Able to see the big picture and is aware of broader enterprise direction.
- Ability to assess the long-term and short-term implications of decisions.
- Able to manage cross-functional objectives and/or priorities.
- Able to set appropriate levels of risk taking and gathers/synthesizes information before making decisions.
- Commitment to Quality Results:
- Advanced communication skills - able to ensure all stakeholders are informed of developments that impact their functions. Able to effectively tailor communications to audience.
- Able to anticipate customer needs and change accordingly.
- Planning & Project Management:
- Ability to execute projects accurately, on time, and within budget.
- Able to reassess and adjust tactical and/or operation direction of project.
- Financial Awareness:
- Advanced financial awareness. Understands fiscal budgeting and expense control process.
- Demonstrates sound cost-effectiveness.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.