The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Senior Scrum Master - Master Data Management
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryTravelers is seeking a Sr. Scrum Master to join our organization as we grow and transform our Agile landscape. Individual will leverage their expertise to lead Agile practices at the team level for multiple teams, assist with managing and prioritizing work through the backlog, creatively solve problems to accomplish outcomes, track team output and achievement, and identify continuous process improvement opportunities.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Practice and encourage Agile mindset and behaviors; coach, inspire and mentor teams on Agile principles, values and practices while role modeling Travelers' leadership behaviors.
- Lead the application of Agile practices for multiple teams, including planning and guidance for daily standups, sprint planning, backlog refinement, and retrospective meetings; Provide summaries of team work at internal reviews and demos.
- Ensure progress toward objectives, KPIs and commitments; guide assigned Agile teams to deliver the required product increments and outcomes.
- Partner with key stakeholders (i.e. Agile Coach and Team Lead) in backlog prioritization as well as tracking and reporting metrics, providing visibility to the team and stakeholders, ensuring a data-driven approach to decision-making.
- Identify opportunities to improve team-level Agile performance; focus teams on customer value, quality and continuous improvement activities. Remove team-level impediments and resolve conflicts; anticipate challenges, identify risks, and recommend mitigations and solutions.
- Utilize learnings and best practices in furthering the effective use of Agile practices at Travelers.
- Facilitate open communication among team members and stakeholders; promote positive team dynamics to ensure members collaborate and work effectively.
- Build and leverage effective alliances across other teams and the technical and business communities.
- 3 years of project management or related experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Three years' experience in a Scrum Master or similar Agile role applying Agile principles and practices including delivery of several epics, releases and versions and application of a wide variety of patterns and techniques (i.e. leveraging burndown, facilitating retrospectives, refining user stories, etc.) preferred.
- Programming/development experience preferred.
- Experience implementing best practices and standards related to Agile product development preferred.
- Experience leading others with the ability to earn trust while still challenging the team to improve and operate outside its comfort zone in an Agile environment preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Agile Mindset: Embody Agile core values of openness, courage, respect, focus, and commitment. Infuse Agile principles, practices and methodologies to achieve team success.
- Project Management: Ability to initiate, plan, execute, and guide the work of a team to achieve specific goals and meet specific success criteria within a specified time.
- Influence: Ability to influence leaders at all levels and without traditional hierarchy.
- Servant Leadership: Foster an environment where individuals thrive as empowered and equal members of a team.
- Communication: Ability to communicate thoughts, concepts and practices effectively at all levels, adjusting as needed to a target audience.
- Collaboration: Expertise working with others in a cross-functional multi-team environment.
- Continuous Improvement: Demonstrate a commitment to continually improve, share learning with others and encourage team development.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.