The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Sr. Outside Sales Executive, Select Accounts
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryResponsible for the execution of industry leading sales strategies; initiating and developing highly effective sales relationships with customers, distribution resources, and fellow employees. Creates tactical sales plans that provide for the profitable growth of respective segments - consistently delivering on Select Accounts profit and revenue goals. Position requires state of the art sales skills, superior knowledge of Select Accounts products and services, broad-spectrum knowledge of corporate enterprise wide capabilities, and exceptional influence management skills. Delivers sales success within our framework of corporate values. This job does not manage others This job works under General Supervision: Incumbent independently performs a variety of duties, including potentially complex duties within established policy guidelines; responsible for a defined set of assignments (e.g. assigned customers, claims or other specified set of responsibilities); is expected to set priorities and meet specific goals and objectives of the function or unit. (Typically pertains to advanced/operational, senior professional, unit supervisor)
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify new customers that fit our profile.
- Understand specific industry characteristics of each segment including key needs and buying patterns.
- Develop annual Business Development Plans for assigned territory.
- Work with designated distribution resources to develop Agency Partnership Plans for Strategic Partner Agents.
- Active and leading involvement in point of sale presentations.
- Establish strong producer relationships through high visibility, clear knowledge of company strategy and joint sales planning.
- Help facilitate working relationships between distribution resources and underwriters.
- Work with and influence all members of the Select Accounts team to exceed customer expectations.
- Owns the business development process within assigned market area with heavy emphasis on developing a pipeline of profitable new business and renewal retention.
- Support long and short term business strategies to effectively achieve growth and profit objectives.
- Participate and / or lead related projects and assignments ( e.g. review and develop agency production strategy ).
- Help identify and develop technical training needs within office.
- Develops and conducts training for staff (i.e. navigation trough and use of Sales MI).
- Model and mentor staff in the execution of Select Business Process.
- Participates in Sales Performance Review Process (Self-Evaluation and/or physical on-sites to outside offices.).
- Assists Sales Director in coach and mentoring staff.
- Demonstrates ability to build partnerships with other business groups.
- Assists in the development of proposals for point-of-sale; participates in and coordinates the Sales team for point-of-sale .
- Maintain superior knowledge of competitor products and capabilities along with local market trends.
- Demonstrates the ability to build partnerships with other business groups to identify and initiate multiple product solutions at the account level.
- Maintains an understanding of all Travelers products, services and solutions and initiates discussions with other businesses units as appropriate.
- Uses available automation tools to support the sales process and identify opportunities for additional products and services.
- Works collaboratively with other business units to remove roadblocks and administrative obstacles to ensure agents and brokers see Travelers as easy to do business with.
- Actively involved in the local business community.
- Pre-qualify accounts that meet underwriting & financial standards.
- Share information with and support the efforts of the Select Accounts team to manage distribution resources within an assigned territory.
- Active involvement in removing obstacles that interfere with effectively serving customer needs.
- Effectively articulate our Vision and work within our Values.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- 4 years professional sales experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree preferred
- 5 years marketing or insurance sales experience preferred
Licensing or Certificates
- CIC or willingness to pursue.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Advanced knowledge of Agency Diagnostics: Ability to accurately assess agency operations and provide strategic sales and marketing insight.
- Advanced ability to Influence the Sale: Ability to convince current and prospective agents to represent and promote Travelers products and services.
- Advanced ability to Advise Agents.
- Advanced ability to deliver results: Ability to focus on the bottom line and push self and others to meet set goals.
- Advanced Relationship Management skills: Superior interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with internal and external customers.
- Advanced Communication skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to deliver professional presentations.
- Advanced ability to Adapt to change: Advanced ability to demonstrate resilience: Maintains a high level of commitment to personally getting things done, assuming personal responsibility for achieving outcomes and works effectively with little direction. Dependable and responsible.
- Demonstrates advanced problem solving skills and ability to exercise decisive judgment.
- Demonstrates Integrity.
- Advanced technical savvy: Knowledge and or ability to learn new systems, applications and programs quickly and then to be able to explain to others.
- Advanced skill of Driving for Results: Self-assured, responds confidently to objections, and does not give up easily.
- Intermediate ability to Coach and Develop Others: Ability to collaborate, provide constructive feedback and actively listen.
- Intermediate Strategic thinking: Ability to anticipate future consequences and trends accurately. Broad knowledge and perspective
- and is future oriented.
- Advanced Distribution focus.
- Advanced ability to plan and organize.
- Ability to organize self and others.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office products with ability to manipulate data in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint quickly and accurately.
- Definition of Intermediate Skills/Competencies: Demonstrates solid knowledge and ability and can apply the competency in the full range of typical situations with minimal or no guidance. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations.
- Definition of Advanced Skills/Competencies: Demonstrated advanced knowledge and ability and can apply the competency in new or complex situations.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Weekend work hours (Occasionally)
- Travel (Frequently)
Operates standard office equipment (Frequently)
Sitting (Can stand at will) (Frequently)
Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently)
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.