Patent Counsel, Innovation Law (Northbrook/Chicago IL, Irving TX)
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.Job Description
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The candidate will be required to provide legal advice and counsel on behalf of the Innovation Law – Enterprise IP Office (EIPO). Collaborate and align on action planning and communication with client, business units, and other areas of Law & Regulation (L&R). Provide project management and coordination between legal teams within L&R and with business clients. Proactively counsel clients on routine legal issues and risk. Counsel clients on legal issues related to strategic initiatives and serves on project teams as needed to provide legal advice. Review and delegate new matters. Conduct research, substantive drafting, reviewing, advising, and negotiating. Provide budget oversight.
- Real time and critical business-focused wholistic IP legal advice for a broad range of businesses and issues
- Play a key role in IP strategy determination and implementation, action planning, and communication with business partners, business units, and other areas of Law & Regulation
- Identify patentable technology and facilitate invention harvesting sessions with business clients and oversee preparation and prosecution of patent applications
- Provide transactional support including drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex matters and agreements related to technology, licensing agreements, acquisitions, divestitures and strategic alliances
- Support patent-related enforcement and leveraging patents as part of comprehensive positions for protecting and advancing associated business initiatives
- Counsel business clients on trade secret protection
- Counsel business clients regarding risk factors as related to freedom to practice
- Support potential and pending mid-exposure litigation through duties assigned
- Identify enforcement opportunities as related to infringement monitoring and accordingly counsel the business
- Counsel business clients on patent issues including integrating patent considerations into business plans, patent risk avoidance and mitigation strategies, and strategies for enhancing the scope and patent portfolio strength to provide business with a competitive advantage
- Providing counsel to the business regarding strategy, approach, and value, vendor relationships and contractual issues
- Analytical skills for fast moving M&A diligence and integration matters
- Project management skills for cross-functional work for complex projects, including coordination, and collaboration between legal teams within L&R and with business clients, as appropriate
- Ability to execute strategy within a parent company and its family of companies
- Ability to manage outside counsel, budgets and financial plans
- Intermediate skills/abilities/experiences in the following areas: legal knowledge, business knowledge, issue management, analytical skills, influencing others, coaching and development, self development, and productivity
- Excellent executive presence and concise verbal and written communication a must
- Comfort with executing on goals and objectives through ambiguity and in a changing business and legal landscape
- Leadership qualities (team building and collaboration a must)
- Possesses a juris doctorate and an license to practice law in Illinois (and/or other states as required)
- 7+ years related experience typical
- Computer skills, including MS Office suite, used in or related to the tasks performed
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Has relevant experience within a reputable law firm or an in-house legal department for a mid- to large-sized organization
- Insurance-industry experience preferred
- Knowledge of legal holds and discovery processes
- Ability to keep a positive outlook during times of change
- Possesses a juris doctorate and a license to practice law in Illinois (and/or other states as required)
- Patent bar required
- Preference for Chicago, Illinois; Northbrook, IL, or Irving, TX
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.