The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.Job Description
Allstate is focused on transformation. We are growing our User Experience team to further enhance innovation across our portfolio of products and services. We are committed to being customer obsessed and we do that by creating and strengthening relationships between Allstate and our consumers, across all touchpoints.
We are seeking a Vice President, User Experience (VP, UX) to lead our UX community as we continue to refine our existing ecosystem, and invent innovative new products and services that service this transformation. This role reports into the SVP, CCO and manages a team of nearly 100 Experience Architects, Experience Researchers, and Experience Designers in multiple offices in IL, North America and internationally.
The VP, UX is responsible for leading the UX vision for the company and delivering simple, connected, high quality user experiences across the enterprise to support a variety of business objectives.
This requires shepherding the customer experience across the brand ecosystem by guiding the vision, strategy, and cross-functional teamwork throughout a project's execution.
Internal UX colleagues and business partners will look to the VP, UX to set the bar for quality and innovation. You will be the main ambassador for UX internally and externally, and a critical point-of-contact with internal partners, developing trusted relationships over time. This requires the ability to apply business knowledge, data and consumer insights to creative solutions that deliver results. You will lead workshops, present to senior leadership, and speak fluently about both business goals and user needs to arrive at approved strategic visions and roadmaps, while providing clear direction to your team.Job Description con'd
The VP, UX will oversee all UX projects and programs, applying human-centered design and brand storytelling to technology, business strategy and digital innovation. The supporting team includes experience designers, product designers, experience architects, and experience researchers that support a variety of products, services and enterprise companies, including insurance, telematics, identity protection, data safety, device protection, and peer-to-peer car sharing, among others. Leading these close knit, multi-disciplinary teams requires fostering collaboration and co-creation. This role will ideate, whiteboard, push, test, prototype, iterate, learn, and drive toward transforming complex challenges into simple, human-centered solutions. Part of the job requirement is to facilitate cohesion across the research, design, data strategy, content, innovation, and development teams.Specific Responsibilities
In alignment with corporate goals, specific responsibilities for the VP, UX include:
- Evangelize customer-obsessed user experiences for the enterprise
- Manage UX projects and teams
- Strategic design planning: transform business needs, research, data, and other user insights into innovative concepts that meet user needs
- Provide guidance and leadership for UXA, UXD, and UXR managers/directors: oversight and leadership as front-line managers and directors scope, plan, and lead UX activities from initial requirements to concept, interaction design, and development
- Optimize processes, methodologies, deliverables and artifacts related to co-creation sessions (including sketching, ideation, and prototyping) and facilitating workshops with clients and UX teams
- Lead the optimization and standardization of UX artifacts and deliverables (sitemaps, audits, process flows, design systems, high-fidelity mockups, etc.)
- Establish, shepherd and evangelize Experience Design Systems for the enterprise
- Develop and present work, concepts, and new ideas to key stakeholders including C-level executives
- Manage internal product owner relationships in partnership with creative, brand and enterprise teams
- Work with project management to ensure we create experiences on time and on budget
- Support sales activities and new business efforts (pitches and proposals to potential partners)
- Mentor UX managers/directors to grow them to their full potential
- Inspire teams with energy and passion, while promoting a positive culture
- Maintain a presence in the industry and community via thought leadership such as articles/white papers, webinars, speaking engagements, and panels
- In addition to fostering a sense of pride and purpose within the UX community, work to make UX inextricably linked to the broader creative, innovation and marketing community within Allstate.
This position will collaborate with Centers of Excellence (COEs) for Creative, Innovation, Corporate Brand, Social, Digital, Regional Marketing, and Media to expand awareness of Allstate’s various products, and drive growth in household penetration.Leadership Requirements
The successful candidate will be a change leader and Innovator. This individual must also have the following personal and professional attributes which are consistent with the Company’s stated values.
- A thought leader who will challenge thinking, business partners and senior management in appropriate ways and in appropriate situations. Thoughtful resource for difficult decisions
- Proven leadership skills including the ability to set a strategic vision and goals for the User Experience community, align the appropriate resources to support business needs, inspire and motivate peers and employees to perform at high levels, and delegate responsibility while holding oneself and others accountable for achieving results
- Function independently while maintaining and promoting an environment of accountability, teamwork, collaboration, and shared knowledge and ideas
- Establish, manage, and maintain the UX goals for specific projects ensuring they fit the client, brand, and business objectives
- Oversee assigned projects and new business opportunities ensuring they are the best demonstration of our capabilities
- Responsible for meeting enterprise goals and project deadlines
- Build team capability with a focus on evolving industry trends, building business partnerships, and developing deep subject matter expertise
- Oversees and lead the day-to-day operations of the User Experience team. This responsibility includes talent management and development, performance, compensation, and managing the group’s budget
- Collaborate and partner with other officers on various projects, content, and solutions
The most significant challenges for the VP, UX for the first 12 months include:
- Galvanizing and unifying the large UX community at Allstate. This includes team members primarily located in Northbrook and Chicago, with others distributed across Allstate talent centers such as Charlotte, NC, Irving, TX, Ireland and India
- Gaining the respect, trust and confidence of UX managers/directors and the broader UX community.
- Gaining the respect, trust, and confidence of senior leadership and becoming familiar with the enterprise including the culture, processes, data and systems
- Working through and assessing current state of our business transformation needs
- Working through enterprise priorities/challenges and related emerging business transformation, business trends, all while navigating constant change
Bachelor’s degree (minimum) with concentration in Information Architecture, Graphic Design, Experience Design, Human-centered Design, Design Thinking, Innovation, or equivalent, with significant job-related experience in related product and/or service design field. Relevant advanced degree(s) and certifications a plus.Job Qualifications
- 12+ years of UX experience for products/services, software, web applications, and/or mobile devices
- Extensive experience leading large cross disciplinary teams and exemplifying leadership in an innovation-based environment
- Exceptional UX skills, production value, and attention to detail
- Intimate knowledge of common agile frameworks such as XP
- Strong working knowledge of Sketch, Illustrator, Invision, and associated design and prototyping tools
- Expertise in communications and ability to clearly express vision and influence
- Extremely comfortable presenting our work to partners, gathering feedback, and sharing it to other team members
- Strong understanding of common software development practices
A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided, including an attractive base salary, an annual target bonus opportunity and participation in a stock program based on the company’s and the individual’s performance.
Allstate Insurance also offers Officer perquisites such as:
- Car allowance
- Income tax preparation
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.