VP, Systems Engineering
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.Job Description
The VP of Systems Engineering will be responsible for ensuring the success of Allstate’s product development and engineering activities, building a world-class engineering team, and delivering an enterprise-ready platform focused on enhancing developer experience to attract and retain the brightest minds and offer an environment to build world class software solutions. This highly visible and impactful role will have the ability to engage, influence, and collaborate cross-functionally across Product Engineering, Enterprise Architecture, Information Security, and Cloud Engineering.Key Responsibilities
- Develop, lead, provide thought leadership and drive for engineering excellence in the platform engineering teams to design and build effective cloud-native platforms
- Define and execute on a playbook to enable agile and contemporary engineering practices and drive to shift the mindset in partnership with the Agile Center of Excellence
- Build and evolve product development environments to deliver on the promise of scaled development and delivery of purposeful software products.
- Drive orders of magnitude improvement in the scale, sophistication and speed in delivering core and emerging engineering solutions that will be leveraged by a broad community of solution engineers working on Insurance Domain capabilities
- Introduce the necessary strategies, tactics, tools and processes for a seamless developer experience to attract and retain world class engineering talent
- High integrity, with demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, building-trusting relationships across an enterprise of stakeholders
- Fast learner able to quickly become adept at using the Danaher Business System tool set
- Ability to conceive, create and deliver persuasive business cases to executive level leadership
- Active listening skills and ability to dissect problems in an organized manner and competing priorities
- Strong technical acumen necessary. Ability to evaluate innovative technology solutions and collaborate with development team leaders
- Well-organized, creative, independent, self-motivated with exceptional written and oral communication skills as well as the ability to interact with individuals from all levels of the organization in a professional, positive, and discreet manner.
- Ability to coach/mentor and train others
- Possesses high emotional intelligence
Allstate is undergoing a large-scale transformation while continuing to run a profitable, complex data-driven business. The leader must be adept at meeting customer needs by influencing a diverse set of other executives and teams.
- 10+ years of experience working in the product development and platform engineering initiatives
- Significant engineering management experience in cloud services and PaaS environments
- Skilled people manager with experience leading and growing a high-performing team
- Expertise with cloud technologies such as Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure
- A deep understanding of cloud-native Integrated Development Environments, cloud services, big data infrastructure, and platform software
- A deep experience with modern technologies, architectures and agile development methods, and comfortable and excited by operating in complex, fast-moving environments.
- A track record of building high-functioning teams and can help us attract, develop, and retain the best engineering talent in the industry
- BS Degree in Computer Science and/or Computer Engineering or related
- Advanced Degree or Master’s in computer systems or equivalent
- Strong executive presence with proven ability to influence peers and senior leadership without direct reporting relationships
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to develop diverse talent and assemble a highly effective team, inspiring those in the organization to do the best work possible and move the organization forward
- Well-developed relationship management capabilities. Ability to build strong internal and external networks
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.