Senior Big Data Engineer
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.Job Description
The Big Data Engineer - is accountable for leading a technical team of developers on the Master Data Management (MDM) team. This is both a hands-on devleopment and a tech leadership role charged with building a data platform and services to provide a single-source of truth for policy and quotes data. Engage with strategic partners to optimize the data quality function and identify strategic capabilities to keep up with data and insurance industry trends.
This role is responsible for driving multiple complex tracks of work to deliver Big Data solutions enabling advanced data science and analytics. This includes working with the team on new Big Data systems for analyzing data; the coding & development of advanced analytics solutions to make/optimize business decisions and processes; integrating new tools to improve descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics; and discovery of new technical challenges that can be solved with existing and emerging Big Data hardware and software solutions.
This role contributes to the structured and unstructured Big Data / Data Science tools of Allstate from traditional to emerging analytics technologies and methods. The role is responsible for assisting in the selection and development of other team members.
- Executes complex functional work tracks for the team.
- Partners with ATSV teams on Big Data efforts.
- Partners closely with team members on Big Data solutions for our data science community and analytic users.
- Leverages and uses Big Data best practices / lessons learned to develop technical solutions used for descriptive analytics, ETL, predictive modeling, and prescriptive “real time decisions” analytics
- Influence within the team on the effectiveness of Big Data systems to solve their business problems.
- Participates in the development of complex technical solutions using Big Data techniques in data & analytics processes.
- Supports Innovation; regularly provides new ideas to help people, process, and technology that interact with analytic ecosystem.
- Participates in the development of complex prototypes and department applications that integrate Big Data and advanced analytics to make business decisions.
- Uses new areas of Big Data technologies, (ingestion, processing, distribution) and research delivery methods that can solve business problems.
- Understands the Big Data related problems and requirements to identify the correct technical approach.
- Works with key team members to ensure efforts within owned tracks of work will meet their needs.
- Drives multiple tracks of work within the research group.
- Identifies and develops Big Data sources & techniques to solve business problems.
- Co-mingles data sources to lead work on data and problems across departments to drive improved business & technical results through designing, building, and partnering to implement models.
- Manages various Big Data analytic tool development projects with midsize teams.
- Executes on Big Data requests to improve the accuracy, quality, completeness, speed of data, and decisions made from Big Data analysis.
- Uses, learns, teaches, and supports a wide variety of Big Data and Data Science tools to achieve results (i.e. Hadoop, SQL, no-SQL [MongoDB] and others).
- Uses, learns, teaches, and supports a wide variety of programming languages on Big Data and Data Science work (i.e. Java, Python, and Perl).
- Trains more junior engineers.
- 5-10 years of technologies experience (Tech Lead experience a plus)
- Bachelor in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- 3-5 years experience with Spark, Scala, Java (Python is a plus)
- 3-5 years experience working with Hadoop, SQL, no-SQL platforms (MongoDB a plus)
- 3-5 years experience with various data types (AVRO, JSON, PARQUET a plus)
- Experience with development, management, and manipulation of large, complex datasets
- Demonstrated knowledge of data management competencies and implementation
- Ability to operate and learn in a rapidly changing, high-visibility environment
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.