Avail - Sr. Frontend Engineer
Avail is a new car sharing platform focused on improving mobility and reducing the cost of car ownership. We give car owners a way to earn extra income from their idle cars and connect drivers with a convenient, affordable way to drive a car when they want.Job Description
We are looking for a talented, technical, proactive, energetic, and passionate person who embraces challenges and is a proven problem solver. You will be a part of multiple teams tasked with multiple projects building Web Front-End User Interfaces using React and Node.js and Backend in Node.js, and Java that are highly functional, secure, scalable, and robust. You will learn the full project lifecycle from start (gathering requirements) to finish (release into production). You will get excellent mobility experience that will help you throughout your career. You will be working with colleagues who will help, support and challenge you every day. Unit testing, code reviewing, and regular check-ins for continuous integration is just part of your DNA. We are an Agile Scrum development shop with 2-week iterations.
We expect our engineers to do much more than just writing code:
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams to produce a product that flows seamlessly and works intuitively with our merchants.
- Keep our customers top of mind. Design and influence with empathy for our customers.
- Be an advocate for the best solution to any given problem. Challenge those around you, to come up with a better solution. Align with the best decisions (even if they are not your own).
- Work closely with peers to create reusable patterns, practices, and libraries, that create consistency and improve product delivery efficiencies. Influence and advocate to other engineers to adopt these patterns, practices, and libraries.
- Being a mentor/coach to junior Engineers.
- Comfortable communicating with non-technical teams.
- Come up with creative solutions to solve problems.
- 5+ years relevant experience
- Write optimized, secure and scalable code
- Expertise in one of the server-side web application framework and language like Java and Node.js.
- Good understanding of Functional and Object-Oriented Programming Concepts, Service Oriented Architectures, Distributed Systems Design Concepts and Computer Science fundamentals
- Expertise building mobile responsive Applications that consume REST services
- Driven and self-motivated. Work creatively to solve challenging problems
- Willingness to work with different technologies
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, cross regional, diverse, and dynamic work environment.
- Embody the Avail team’s 5 core values: Transparency, Collaboration, Bias for Action, Customer-Obsession, and Integrity.
Nice to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- Familiarity with Authentication and Authorization standards like OAuth, SAML
- Expertise in designing and building RESTful APIs
- Expertise with GitHub following GitFlow
- Understanding of OWASP security principles
- Knowledge/experience of 12-Factor methodology for building scalable distributed systems.
- Knowledge/experience building ADA compliant web applications
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.