The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Senior Financial Underwriting Analyst
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryPosition is responsible for the credit risk analysis of captive programs and National Accounts. Work with marketing, underwriting, actuarial, finance and claim departments to determine the collateral needs for ongoing reinsurance obligations for various types of captive and National Accounts programs.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Develop and/or manage the credit and collateral review process for captive programs and National Accounts.
Identify and evaluate projected loss exposures.
Collaborate with marketing, underwriting, actuarial, finance and claim personnel to ensure that credit and collateral decisions are representative of critical program elements including technical structure, claims handling and legal environment.
Determine the annual collateral recommendation for captive programs based on credit analysis, exposure levels and other factors
Communicate decisions with various external production sources.
Develop product expertise, strategy and protocol regarding captive programs tasks that benefit Travelers.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, insurance, economics or a similar discipline.
- 5 years’ experience in credit risk management, underwriting, financial analysis and/or risk assessment.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 7 years of national/large account size property & casualty commercial lines underwriting experience preferred.
Licensing or Certificates
- CPCU, ARM preferred but not necessary.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Strong knowledge of the interrelationships between a company’s balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flows and financial statement notes, as well as their impact on predicting future defaults.
- Experience in analyzing the credit profiles of large companies and/or captives.
- Experience in using financial statements, as well as industry and other information, to produce credit ratings for accounts.
- Knowledge of loss-responsive retrospective/deductible programs.
- Knowledge of WC, GL and AL policy coverage forms.
- Familiarity with loss projection and pricing models.
- Understanding of the Claim's approach to evaluating and posting loss reserves.
- Experience underwriting property & casualty commercial lines for large accounts.
- Effective, articulate and professional communication and presentation skills.
- Strong negotiation skills. Ability to solicit win-win results with agents & brokers when delivering company collateral positions.
- Proficient with Word and Excel.
- Ability to take ownership/accountability of work.
- Ability to research and analyze complex issues and problems and still see the big picture.
- Flexible and open to new ideas.
- Strong collaboration and relationship-building.
- Self-motivated and goal oriented. Ability to make sound business decisions and take initiative.
- Good leadership skills.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.