The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Private & Non Profit Management Liability Sr Account Underwriter
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryUnder general supervision, responsible for the profitability, growth and retention of assigned book of business within an assigned territory that is consistent with overall Bond and Specialty Insurance/BU strategy and objectives. Primary responsibilities include: Underwriting new and renewal business Building and maintaining productive relationships with agents and brokers Consistently achieving budgeted financial results Collaborating with BU and region colleagues as well as internal/external business associates Sales and marketing Management of underwriting workflow, process and operations Those in this role may have the highest level of technical expertise regarding coverages, forms, compliance issues and/or systems/process This job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting & Pricing:
- Underwrites and assesses risk for small to mid-size, renewals and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies.
- Considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability.
- Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority. May underwrite moderately complex accounts/risks.
- Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency plant, working with more experienced underwriters if outside authority.
- Can easily articulate whether or not account is within or outside underwriting appetite/strategy, along with the reasons for that determination.
- Independently sets account strategy, occasionally partners with Account Executive Officer or Managing Director to set account strategy.
- Makes recommendations to underwriter two, as appropriate.
- May input financials and is able to calculate key ratios and more complex financial metrics, drawing conclusions about the financial health of an account; makes decisions regarding pricing, capacity, terms and conditions based on those analyses on moderately complex accounts.
- Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office underwriters.
- Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information.
- Meets quality assurance standards.
- May act as a Region or industry resident expert.
- Manages flow of new and renewal business.
- Is the resident go-to person for underwriting systems and process questions.
- May process renewal transactions.
- Handles complex business requests from agents.
- Lead or participate in agency training sessions.
- May be sought out by broker/agent for his/her expertise regarding industry and local issues.
- Primary agency or broker relationship is producer / internal broker; may also include CSRs.
- Leverages agent/broker relationships to drive new business opportunities via existing relationships as well as where there is no existing relationship; continually prospects for new opportunities.
- Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker sales goals.
- Is able to comfortably talk with agents and brokers about our products and apply them to the needs of the account.
- Develops agency plant sales/business plan. Sales activities should include some of the larger and more important agency/brokers/clients.
- Participates in Region and/or Business Unit sales meetings.
- May partner with colleagues in other Bond and Specialty Insurance or Travelers BUs to cross sell all Travelers products.
- Is able to utilize analytics and tools to assist in the sale and pricing (if applicable) of accounts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has a minimum of 3-5 years of experience.
- Industry Knowledge:
- Demonstrates a fundamental understanding of the local marketplace.
- Demonstrates an ability and desire to learn about Travelers and BU critical business issues and financial drivers.
- Is able to apply that understanding to the sales plan, pricing strategy and underwriting strategy.
- Working knowledge of BU products/coverages and pricing and the linkages to strategy and can easily explain them to others.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work
Licensing or Certificates
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Negotiates skillfully in difficult situations.
- Understands the motivations of others and incorporates this knowledge into negotiations.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect
- relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; does not assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.