Experienced Actuarial Modeler
Posted on Apr 14 Northbrook, IL 368 views
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Job Family Summary
Analytics is responsible for aligning with and contributing to corporate growth and profitability objectives by providing expert actuarial guidance, influencing business strategies, executing flawlessly, and rigorously defending our work.
This position will work on the Modeling & Major Initiatives team as a part of the broader Auto & Home Analytics department. The Modeling & Major Initiatives team develops and maintains models used in ratemaking, economic analysis, and underwriting. They also develop best practices and support enhancements to processes supporting major initiatives and the adaptation of models/major initiatives to state specific implementations. The Actuarial Consultant will utilize various statistical modeling techniques to support the creation of models, will educate business partners on the use of these models, and will participate in innovative work to improve rating plan sophistication (such as the incorporation of telematics data) and decision-making support.
The Auto & Home Analytics department supports pricing of personal insurance lines of business utilizing accepted actuarial and statistical standards and methodologies. The Consultant works closely with their Analytics Manager to models to support business goals. Pursuing actuarial designation and has completed at least two actuarial exams. Sponsorship for CAS and CSPA exams is available.
- Uses best practices and traditional statistical/modeling techniques to develop and maintain rating, economic, and other models as necessary and in consideration of the business goals of the model
- Provide tools, educate and support state teams in the implementation of models and other decision-making support
- Follows appropriate analyses to be conducted for projects to make recommendations to achieve corporate goals
- With minimal direction plans, implements, manages, and/or contributes on projects that are up to moderate complexity and are small-to moderate scale using accepted project management standards
- Forecasts short-term and long-term deliverables with assistance
- Tracks own plan performance and project timeline and communicates and presents project status
- Ensures project controls are in place throughout the lifecycle of the project within own tasks
- Supports the development/ design of new plans, programs, processes, products up to moderate complexity
- Assists in the development of communication strategies and materials to support new plans, programs, processes, products; solicits input from stakeholders
- Participates in the evaluation of procedures and processes regularly and makes observations or suggests improvements
- Contributes to market share growth and profitability by recommending changes to products, pricing, risk management
- Understands standard market specific implications of business strategies
- Assures proper execution of regulatory/legislative practices for Product Management
- Understands and follows internal and external compliance requirements/standards
- Analyze data and review analysis from others and identify and resolve basic data issues
- Trains/coaches team members or peers and actively shares expertise with peers
- Bachelor’s degree required – preferably in related field of study such as actuarial science, math/applied math, statistics/applied statistics, economics
- Proven business knowledge - understands economics of insurance; several years of experience with personal lines ratemaking and rating plans
- Aptitude and strong interest in statistical modeling techniques such as linear regression, logistic regression, GLM, GAM, GBM, etc. - some modeling experience is helpful but not required.
- Standard knowledge in the use of data sources and applications to conduct research
- Strong technical aptitude, such as programming experience with Python, R, SAS, or SQL required.
- Working knowledge of insurance regulation and related business constraints
- Has an understanding of current industry and professional standards/ environment to impact decisions and indicate requirements
- Intermediate computer proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Possesses working knowledge of policies and procedures in management or other technical fields
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels
- High level organizational and project management skills in order to handle multiple concurrent assignments in a timely manner and to monitor processes throughout a team or department
- Strong decision-making skills
- Works effectively in a team environment
Sponsorship for CAS and CSPA exams is available.
The minimum salary for this position is $72,100. The maximum salary is $108,200. The salary offered will be commensurate with experience.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy. For a full description of Allstate’s benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.