The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Cloud Architect - Data & Analytics
Posted on Apr 19 Hartford, CT 136 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The Travelers Enterprise Architecture & Emerging Technology group is looking for a Senior Systems Architect to join their team. The primary focus of this position is to support Analytics providing technology leadership and architectural guidance, technology recommendations, reusable solutions and transition strategies.
Work will support development and implementation of information-intensive initiatives based on common practices for multiple complex projects within Architecture and Analytics. This role reports into Enterprise Architecture & Emerging Technologies and will be specifically dedicated to the Analytics area.
The incumbent will play a visible role helping to define IT response to our overall business strategy, particularly as it relates to Business Intelligence, Advanced Analytics, Data Warehouse and Financial Systems operating on-premise and within public cloud.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Your day-to-day responsibilities may include:
- Under the direction of the Solution Architect, provide architectural strategic thinking, information solutions, and roadmaps to drive architectural recommendations.
- Maintain a plan to address significant architecture gaps between current and target state.
- Provide systems architecture services to project teams. Solutions provided must meet requirements and adhere to Traveler’s standards.
- Lead ‘reuse, buy and build’ decisions.
- Ensure architectural compliance of solutions and introduce recommendations for changes to reference models when needed.
- Collaborate with business leaders to determine how to best use technology to enable growth and success (e.g. operational reporting and advanced analytics).
- Participate in defining and driving architecture competencies, processes, and best practices across Business Insurance.
- Understand potential impacts of proposed solutions on other systems, processes or projects.
- Articulate and document designs, considering tradeoffs, costs, and benefits.
- Develop ongoing knowledge of current and emerging technologies.
- Identify new and emerging solutions, assess relevance and potential value to the organization, and present findings to teammates and management.
- Participate in day-to-day execution of the architecture strategy.
- Within the Business Insurance governance process, develop blueprints and conduct design reviews to ensure architectural compliance of solutions.
- Work across multiple projects and systems to develop, communicate, and mentor others on information design/implementation standards, guidelines and best practices.
- Support and evolve the Information Domain within BI Architecture working with Enterprise Business Intelligence & Analytics (ED&A) group.
In addition to working with agile delivery teams, the Senior Systems Architect may work on several initiatives managed by the Business Insurance Architecture Technology VS. The incumbent may participate in developing strategy and tactics for the renovation and replacement of legacy software components as Travelers transitions to its end-state architecture.
This role will work with colleagues to establish and maintain methods and best practices for software architecture, to extend and refine Travelers’ reference models, and to keep current on standards, techniques, tools and enabling technologies.
Position can be in either Hartford, CT, St Paul, MN, Hunt Valley, MD or Remote -US Nationwide
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- 3 years of experience in enterprise, application, and/or information architecture required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
Qualified candidates will have the following skills and experience:
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in enterprise and Systems Architecture and data design (relational, dimensional, NoSQL data modeling)
- Minimum of 7 years work experience in application development (OLTP, data manufacturing, data warehouse, data marts, information delivery)
- Strong technical skills in middleware, integration (ETL), security, cloud, deployment and configuration
- Working knowledge of emerging business intelligence and analytic capabilities (e.g. Big Data, machine learning, in memory analytics, etc.)
- 4-year degree in a related field (or equivalent experience) preferred
- Experience working within a highly-matrixed organization
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Experience working with a structured architecture process (e.g. TOGAF or similar) -- certification preferred
- Experience with Big Data (Hadoop, Spark) and AWS desirable
Problem Solving and Decision Making
The Senior Systems Architect must openly debate and defend solution recommendations on component coupling and cohesion, interface design, component models, implementation technologies, and architectural reference models and patterns. Other qualifications include:
- Demonstrates sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are not readily defined and/or conflict with available information
- Understands where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions.
- Demonstrates ability to break down a problem to manageable pieces and implement effective, timely solutions
- Identifies the problem versus the symptom
- Manages problems that require involvement of others to solve
- Reaches sound decisions quickly
- Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action
- Optimizes the use of all available resources
- Develops solutions to meet business needs that reflect a clear understanding of the objectives, practices and procedures of the corporation, department and business unit
Commitment to Quality Result
The Senior Systems Architect creates an atmosphere where business partners’ issues are dealt with professionally and in a timely manner. This role suggests solutions that make sense and are in line with future technology direction. Other qualifications include:
- Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience
- Demonstrates an adaptive style that is flexible and effective in gaining cooperation of others
- Anticipates and responds to management requests for information with timely, accurate findings
- Advocates for the business, contributes opinions and influences others’ opinions through excellent verbal and written communication
This role collaborates with IT and business leaders to determine how to best use technology to enable growth and success. Other qualifications include:
- Works across multiple projects and systems to develop, communicate and mentor others on design and implementation standards, guidelines and best practices
- Communicates within peer groups and several levels above
- Influences members of both IT and business leadership teams
- Communicates effectively through both verbal and written formats
- Able to read an audience and adjusts style to the audience's reactions
Identify and Manage Architecture Risks
This role demonstrates the ability to see through a complex problem to find what parts of the problem pose the most architecture risk. Once risks are identified, this role demonstrates the ability to determine solutions and/or mitigation plans for those risks.
This role must develop a good understanding of the most important stakeholders and record this analysis for reference and refresh during the project. The incumbent must be able to win support from senior leaders regarding the architecture concepts being promoted.
Planning and Project Management
This role develops operational plans and provides resource estimation for task planning. The architect proposes action plans that are timely, realistic and positive. Sets appropriate goals for projects and monitors progress against the plan.
This role understands and has input to the budget process, and is responsible for cost-effective expense control of assigned projects. Has responsibility for important and confidential information.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.