The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Remote -Manager, Data Analytics Engineer
Posted on Apr 20 Hartford, CT 522 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
The Manager, Data Analytics Engineer leverages technology and analytics skills to apply intermediate data analysis practices that benefit business initiatives. The Data Analytics Engineer works closely with the Salesforce Platform and neighboring data teams to provide operational and strategic level analytical support to various Business Units at Travelers. The successful applicant will demonstrate excellent judgement, work well under pressure, prioritize effectively and work collaboratively with stakeholders across the company.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Data Analysis, Acquisition, Preparation, and Exploration:
- Independently review, prepare, design and integrate complex (type, quality, volume) data, correcting problems and recommend data cleansing/quality solutions to issues. Review unfamiliar data sources.
- Develop moderate data derivations and apply with complex business transformation rules and data requirements.
- Perform analysis of complex (type, quality, volume) sources to determine value and use. Determine and recommend data to include in analytical projects.
- Create moderate (technology and features) data visualization techniques to help support data exploration.
- Occasionally present data visualizations to help support data exploration.
- Data Solutions & Analytic Implementations:
- Lead the operationalizing and automation of complex data (more systems, data sets and streams, size of data sets more substantial) products into business.
- Establish frameworks to acquire, integrate and operationalize data.
- Build, test, and implement complex analytic business processes, including pilots and proof of concepts.
- Apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements.
- Data Culture:
- Present and translate complex information in relevant business terms.
- Work within Travelers standards, processes, and protocols.
- Incorporate core data management competencies – data governance, data security, data quality.
- Independently train business users on data products/analytic environment.
- 4 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College Degree in STEM related field
- Technical Knowledge:
- Advanced knowledge of data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred. Examples (but not limited to):
- Cloud platforms - AWS, Snowflake
- Programming languages - SSQL, Python, SAS, Spark, Hive
- Visualization platforms - QlikView, MicroStrategy and Qlik Sense
- 5 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred.
- Salesforce experience preferred.
- Leadership experience preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Communication Skills:
- Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members – including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Able to recognize, analyze, and diagnose business and data issues of advanced complexity.
- Able to creatively evaluate alternative solutions.
- Able to reuse previously completed processes.
- Demonstrates the ability to make routine decisions independently and escalates when necessary.
- Relationship Management:
- Ability to build and foster relationships with team, business, and technical partners to achieve objectives.
- Practices objectivity and openness to others’ views. Able to recognize and support team priorities.
- Able to coordinate with other technical areas to achieve project/department or division goals.
- Planning and Project Management:
- Able to manage time and competing priorities and provide management with accurate and timely status information.
- Able to accurately evaluate and estimate tasks.
- Exhibits team leadership and collaborates with partners.
- Beginning to provide feedback and/or coaching.
- May collaborate across the Enterprise and participate in pipeline programs.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.