The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Regional Underwriting Officer, Select
Posted on May 4 Richardson, TX 340 views
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Serves as underwriting subject matter expert for assigned Region(s) or Center(s). Drives strong underwriting performance through oversight of authority delegation, CURE processes, and quality programs. Partners with Region or Center Leadership Team in the development and execution of business strategies to support regional profit and growth and growth of underwriting talent. Participates/Leads countrywide initiatives to support continued evolution of underwriting. Serves as local change agent to ensure local adoption of new strategies, models and practices.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwriting Subject Matter Expert holding highest level of authority in the Field/Center.
- Responsible for oversight and influence of underwriting execution through individual risk collaboration and CUREs (individual risk and book), management of authority delegation, and evaluation of UW and quality program execution.
- Serves as a member of Region/Center Leadership team to influence, design and drive regional/center business strategies, operating practices, and pricing strategies to support profit and growth objectives
- Partner with Region/Center Leadership, HO Underwriting and Product Management to monitor trends, emerging issues, production and underwriting results for the book of business. Partners with management to take action as needed.
- Coach for UDs/UMs and AEs, participates in developing training and leading implementation of new underwriting tools & best practices, product and pricing strategies.
- Shared leadership accountability for the development of underwriting talent and skillset. Accountable for underwriting talent development and skillset through coaching and mentoring; identification and delivery of training; and deepening underwriting to support independent thinking, and thoughtful judgment.
- Partner with local leadership in staff calibration activities and evaluation of performance.
- Leads/Influences the ongoing development of Small Commercial Underwriting capabilities, including underwriting best practices and tools, appetite and eligibility.
- Collaborate and build strong relationships with Underwriting Officers and Leadership across Business Units.
- Lead/Participate in underwriting projects and initiatives across Select and broader Business Insurance.
- May also serve as underwriting subject matter expert for Industry or Line.
- 6 years of underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 7+ years of underwriting experience preferred.
Licensing or Certificates
- CPCU designation preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Extensive knowledge of underwriting, product, operations and agency/field distribution.
- Advanced organizational, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking, interpersonal, time management, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead self and others through change.
- Demonstrated leadership, influence and interpersonal skills including rapport building and conflict management skills.
- Demonstrates performance management experience and skills including setting clear goals and priorities; coaching and developing others; providing timely and consistent performance feedback
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.